Hi, my name is Adrian and I am fundraising on behalf of the owners of the E-Mart.
This lovely family-run convenience store has been a staple in this neighborhood. The mother and son who ran the store were the kindest people and loved to chat with everyone who came in the door. The prices were so affordable that it was a perfect place for just about anything in a pinch. The store also doubled as their home on the second level.
Devastatingly, just prior to 11 pm on August 15th, 2021, the store was set on fire by a man who unsuccessfully attempted to set fire to a number of buildings in the area.
The son was able to make it out but his mother, now identified as Jung Ja Shin, 60, suffered critical injuries and later died of the fire-related injury. In one tragic event, he lost his mother, his home, and his business. A vigil has been organized by another member of the community and will be taking place on Thursday, August 19th at 8 pm in front of the store. For more information, follow this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/s/walk-for-love-a-walk-to-mourn-/369848901418235/
Update: The arsonist was arrested and charged on August 20th
I know that money doesn't undo what was done, but I would love to help repay the kindness they brought to Osborne Village in any way we can. I don't know the family personally, I just live in the area and would frequent the store and/or walk by and, without fail, would see the mother there during the day and the son there in the evening.
This campaign has put me in contact with friends of the son to ensure that 100% of the proceeds go to him and his family.
Their store had a 4.9/5 on google reviews, most of which attributed to the incredibly friendly family running it:
- "During the recent shortage of bathroom tissue because of COVID, this store was the only store in this area that I could buy them at. The owners are sweet and very friendly. Hope they keep their quality and pricing."
- "Nice little basic mom and pop shop with a unique selection and kind staff."
- "Very nice people. I go there a few times a week and they are always very good to me"
- "The owners are so friendly, and the store is neatly organized with a surprisingly huge selection."
- "Best staff, always friendly, awesome stuff."
- "I like this store! All dogs are welcome(Owners love doggies) Everything is fresh & clean and well organized!
Fundraiser Update (2021-08-18): We just hit our goal of raising $1000. I am amazed by the sense of community that has gathered in the time of tragedy. The goal of $1000 was a recommended amount set by GoFundMe, but going above and beyond is incredible and will continue to aid in the recovery. Thank you all that have donated thus far. I will be leaving this fundraiser active until Monday, August 23rd, 2021.
DonationsSee top donations
- Tony and Michele Ong
- Jonathan Pirrie
- Haesil Oh
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more