The work has been nonstop until January 22nd at noon. That is when my attempt came to an abrupt end after damaging a hull less than 24 hours after starting in NY. From there it was a nearly three day trip back to safe harbor in Virginia with a damaged boat. Having sailed over 10,000 miles on Jzerro, and in much more demanding conditions than I saw during this record attempt, the damage was a surprise, but also a good revelation for preparing to make another attempt in November 2021. But this time I will need help.
The biggest factor leading up to this failure was how heavily loaded Jzerro was from when leaving NYC, due to the water I was bringing for this 14,000 nautical mile trip.
The first step in my program is to rebuild and reengineer the structure that failed and then go on a major weight saving program to reduce loads on the structure itself.
This fundraiser is for the following:
- Repairing the failed structure with Jzerro’s designer and builder, Russell Brown
- Spectra 40E Water Maker to produce water on demand, replacing the 565 pounds of water I would otherwise have to bring with a 25 lb. unit.
- Hydro Generator to produce power to keep up with the power demands of the water maker
-A single 300 amp hour lithium battery to replace the lead acid batteries that are on board
- New rudders built with updated materials that are lighter and stronger than the original
- 12 Volt powered Tablets to replace laptops which weigh more and have higher AC power consumption
- High speed internet connection to have quicker weather forecast access and to be able to send images from the boat during the record attempt
With the implementation of these technologies, I feel confident in Jzerro’s ability to deliver an adventure that is both faster, safer and more engaging than my previous attempt and will be forever in your debt.
Anyone in or with contacts to the marine industry who can sponsor any of this equipment please contact me through the gofundme messaging service. That is just as good as cash and will speed up this process. Thanks. -R
DonationsSee top donations
- Tymeless Flooring
- Oskar Liivak
- Louise Bienvenu
- John Rafter
- Victor Echenique
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more