Greetings and welcome to Rickey's Alkaline Market Garden and Fruit Forest!
We are a team of fathers and grandfathers with Jamaican heritage who share a passion for developing, growing, and empowering communities to secure local food production for future generations.
We are Rickey and Owen, two skilled tradespeople united by our love for alkaline foods, organic farming, and locally sourced produce. Our paths crossed when Owen was working as a consultant for a plant-based Caribbean restaurant chain in London, UK. We quickly discovered our shared interest in making healthy fruits and vegetables more accessible by growing them locally and selling them at reasonable prices, and making organic foods available to everyone.
In 2021, Rickey obtained a licence for our farm, Rickey's Market Garden and Fruit Forest Ltd. We are privileged to be collaborating with the Soil Association to realise our dream of cultivating and selling reasonably priced alkaline produce. By using regenerative farming techniques and relying on local herbs, we stay as close to nature as possible. Our farming practices do not involve the use of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, or wetting agents, as we focus on remineralisation through 100% organic and biodegradable methods. Since relocating to Woodoaks Farm in Maple Cross in 2021, we have been implementing both old and new farming techniques to cultivate delicious, organically grown food using regenerative farming technology.
At Rickey's Alkaline Market Garden and Fruit Forest, we learn from the forest and are guided by nature, combining traditional wisdom with modern technology to develop sustainable, regenerative, closed-loop systems for organically grown food production, food waste management, and water storage techniques to create better communities.
We now need your help to make our vision for growth a reality.
We firmly believe that organic food shouldn't cost more than chemically grown produce, and locally produced food can significantly reduce our carbon footprint. Our market garden and fruit forest is dedicated to providing affordable and accessible alkaline produce that is grown locally with love.
Alkaline produce consists of fruits, vegetables, and other food items that have an alkaline-forming effect on the body. By consuming a diet rich in alkaline produce, we can help balance our body's pH levels, decrease inflammation, and potentially prevent various health issues.
Rickey's Alkaline Market Garden and Fruit Forest is on a mission to enhance conventional farming practices to boost the food supply for local communities. As demonstrated during our last growing season, it can be done!
The Soil Association has already given us permission to install grow tunnels (poly tunnels), which will further increase our food production. Positively are also working towards incorporating a biodigester for food waste recycling to help minimise our carbon footprint and promote a sustainable lifestyle.
Impact of Your Contributions
Your generous contributions will have a significant impact, helping us to:
- Widen access to affordable organic produce within local communities.
- Champion sustainable and regenerative farming techniques, ensuring a healthier environment for generations.
- Educate and involve the community in organic agriculture and self-sustaining living.
In supporting our cause, you'll be directly contributing to building a healthier and more environmentally-aware community.
We are fully committed to putting in the hard work alongside our team of generous volunteers to create a real and lasting difference in the lives of everyone involved, as well as the wider community around us.
To achieve our goals, we need to raise £41,900. Here's a detailed breakdown of how the funds will be used:
- Polytunnels (1 of 3 units): £14,000 - With just one unit, we can cultivate produce within one calendar year, and then purchase two more polytunnels in the second year.
- Storage containers (2 units) for storage facilities and our education centre: £6,000 - We already welcome school groups and aim to expand this aspect of our business, focusing on community interest and promoting sustainable living. Our education centre will provide opportunities for future apprenticeships in agriculture, forestry, and environmental-based careers, as well as for those joining as part of their Duke of Edinburgh Programme.
- A sit-on mower for collecting grass for composting: £5,400
- Water tanks: £5,000
- Bio-digester for turning food waste into compost: £5,500
- Mini-chiller unit for microgreens and mushrooms: £6,000
Every little bit helps, and together we can make our dream of a healthier, more sustainable community come true.
How You Can Help:
There are many ways you can support us and make a difference:
- Financial: Any amount you can give will help, and no donation is too small.
- Equipment: If you have any of the equipment we need, your donation is appreciated and valued. We appreciate your generosity and support; again, no donation is too small!
Shout about us:
- Please spread the word about our farm and cause with your friends, family, and colleagues. Every share/like helps us reach our goal, build a strong community, and connect with like-minded people.
Join us as a volunteer:
- Join Rickey and the crew at The Alkaline Market Garden, learning and working side by side with our team. Your time and energy are precious, and we are grateful for your support - but more importantly, it's fun! To sign up, just fill in the form here .
- Educate others about the importance of organic farming, environmental awareness, and locally sourced produce. By raising awareness, you help create a more sustainable future.
- Introduce us to like-minded organisations or individuals who may be interested in collaborating or supporting our cause.
- You may want to use our farm for your next film/video shoot.
Every bit of support counts, and together we can build a healthier, more environmentally-conscious community.
Updates and Our Progress
Please refer to our Facebook , Instagram , YouTube channel (on its way), and Woodoaks Farm for regular updates.
We'll keep you in the loop about how things are going, sharing the big steps we're taking and any challenges we are facing along the way. Your trust and support mean the world to us, and we want to make sure you know how your help is making a real difference in our cause.
We 100% appreciate your time, attention, and support. With your help, we know we can make a lasting impact on the lives of those we are working hard to serve. Together, we are confident we can reach our goals and create a brighter future for all.
Rickey, Owen, Zebbie and the Crew