Dear friends and family
5 months in Ghana has come to an end. Before we head back to Denmark, we want to stop by the local orphanage and make a donation of food, clothes and learning materials. We thought we would share this “good karma” opportunity with you all.
Richard usually stops by the Osu Orphanage with a donation whenever possible. The Osu Orphanage is home for more than 100 children and is dependent on charity donations in order to care for the kids.
The orphanage asked for very little, below is what they said would help greatly:
1. Food: rice, canned tomato, corned beef, beans, flour, sugar, spices, milk, porridge
2. Books and learning materials such as note books, color pencils, textbooks
A small $10 donation will feed a child for five days.
Any amount you can spare will be a great help. Even $1 can buy a meal.
- 10 USD can feed a child for 5 days
- 450 USD can buy new books and learning materials for the kids
- 3000 USD can buy new clothes for the kids
- 6000 USD can feed 100 kids for 1 month
- Donations close 19th of November 2017.
- After that we will purchase food, clothes and learning materials.
- In the last week of November we will stop by Osu Childrens Home to deliver the donations.
- We will share pictures with everyone who donated.
If the donations adds up to more than expected - then we will stop by the Egyam Orphanage as well.
Donate & share
Donating, or sharing the GoFundMe with your social network would mean so much to us!
Help us spread a little love, hope and smiles :)
(Notice: GoFundMe charges 7.65% in fees + 1.8 DKK per donation. In Denmark, where I am from, it’s not uncommon that 20-25% of charity donations goes to administration fees, so this is a perfect opportunity to make the most of the donated money).
Big smiles, big eyes, hugs and hairstyling! The joy and excitement the kids expressed was heartwarming!
Thanks to everyone who donated, we were able to deliver a donation to the Osu Orphanage in Accra, Ghana, the day before yesterday. We join the kids in saying a heartfelt THANK YOU, to those who donated!
We arrived just as some of the kids came home from school. In Ghana the elementary school (age 4 to 14) is free, payed by the government, so the orphanage has a policy of sending the kids out to different schools in the city to make sure they get this basic education.
In Danish we have a proverb "uden mad og drikke duer helten ikke" ( meaning "without food and drink, the hero will not function"). Therefore we decided to concentrate on buying food.
Here's what we bought:
- 30 kg jasmine rice
- 24 cans of corned beef
- 6 boxes of 1kg danish cookies
- 48 cans of tomato paste
- 36 packages of soap
- 12 packages of toothpaste
- 6 kg sugar
- 2.5 kg gari
- 3 x 1.5kg Sunny Gold Tom Brown (corn porridge)
- 3 boxes of cornflakes
- 24 x noodles
- 3 packages of cocoa powder
- 2 x 5l sunflower oil
- 12 strawberry yoghurt drinks
- 72 portion packages of peanuts
- 2 x 400g milk powder
- 24 cans of evaporated milk
- 24 cans of heinz beans
- 4 x 400g milk powder
This may not be much in terms of feeding 164 children - But a small act of kindness goes a long way, if we all take part. :)
Should you wish to do more, we will return sometime next year with a new donation. Until then we will collect children's clothes, toys and learning materials which we will bring. Any help is always more than welcome.
Once again, a heartfelt thank you to all who donated!
DonationsSee top donations
- Sandra Thrysøe
- Bo Foght
- Tien Tran
- lone jonasson
- Annette Jonasson Madsen
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more