*UPDATE* Thank you for the outpouring of SUPPORT!! WE made our goal in 7 days thanks to ALL OF YOU. We did not realize GoFundMe has fee of 2.9% plus $.30/donation. We have calculated that we need an additional $550 for the actual donation to be $12,000. Any amount raised beyond the goal will be put towards space maintenance & repair. Thank YOU again!!
MINKA brooklyn - “Home of The People”
Help Us Keep the Doors Open
Help Us renew our lease and stay in Flatbush for the next 10+ years. We need 12000 folks to chip in $1 each, 12 people for $1000 or any amount in between; please spread the word!
One thing about New York City that New Yorkers can not escape is the rising cost of living. MINKA brooklyn is no different and we are currently experiencing a change in landlord which now calls for us to sign a new lease.
With the mission of creating safer space for healing for all who choose to take on the brave journey of self-rediscovery, we at MINKA brooklyn (a cooperatively-run Healing Center in Flatbush founded by POC and an ally) have offered affordable, alternative health-care to our local community and beyond. Our intention is to continue to provide services for many years to come.
In order to secure our current healing home for the next 10 years, we are unexpectedly required to provide a $12,000 deposit for a new lease after the last landlord leaving without returning our deposit. Our new landlord has generously given us some time, yet we still must ask our beloved community for financial support.
MINKA brooklyn has never been conventionally bottom-line focused. Nor have we chosen to declare not-for-profit status as we believe the direction of community healing should not be determined by outside financing. We have grown organically by remaining focused on individual healing, community needs, and practitioner development all in an effort to be a grounding place for collective resilience and social change.
We have worked lovingly to create this physical space and to provide opportunities for our community to heal together in a variety of ways :
- An ongoing sliding-scale community Reiki and Acupuncture clinic in partnership with Lefferts Community Acupuncture
- Conversations on racial equity in wellness and healing sector in partnership with People's Institute for Survival and Beyond
- Wellness, healing and social change workshops, trainings and sessios in partnership with various organizations and companies to offer such as Freelancers Union, Women's convention 2017, New Museum, We Work, Spirit Weavers, Bank Street College of Education, and more
- Wellness and Healing demonstration in partnership with IamCarribeing, Kings County Hospital and K.A.V.I. to the local Flatbush community
- $6000 in raised legal funds for Asylum Seekers and their families in partnership with Yoga Tribe, Compound Cowork, Masala Mama, local wellness practitioners and artists during Summer 2018
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training in partnership with the Gender Equality Law Center in effort to create safer workspace for all
- Cop Watch Training in partnership with Equality for Flatbush to offer to fight police brutality against the community members
This community-focused business without large financial backing does not have a reserve of $12000 after only 3 years of opening its door. We urgently need your support today.
- Ibrahim .
- REGINE ROMAIN
- Rachel Posner
- Alexandra LaMond