As a precaution, we took her to the vet the following day, Monday the 19th. The vet informed us that instead of a cold, Mavis had pneumonia. She prescribed her an antibiotic and cough tablets and sent her home with us. We took care of her as much as we possibly could, waiting on her day and night, but noticed that her condition wasn't improving. She was still very lethargic. Occasionally, there were signs of change and her personality poked out a few times, but the biggest problem was that she hadn't eaten anything significant since we brought her home. Taking antibiotics on an empty stomach, even as humans, isn't suggested.
On Wednesday, February 21st, I took her back to the vet who decided to give her an radiograph (X-ray) to see exactly what we are dealing with. The news was not good. The pneumonia was getting worse. He recommended that we place her into a 24-hour specialized facility in Nashville, Nashville Veterinary Specialists, where they were better suited to get her the care she needed. He said that if we didn't take her there, the fluid in her lungs could cause her to suffocate. But he gave us some reassurance by stating that if we took her there, she'd have a fair to very good chance of making a recovery, or close to it. We took her there immediately so the specialists' care unit could start working their magic. We were told that Mavis would be watched 24/7, have a comfortable stay in an oxygen kennel to help her breathe, and that the nutrients she is lacking and the antibiotics she will need will be administered to her through an IV until she could breathe on her own and gain her appetite back.
Today, two days later, we found out that rather than her condition improving, it has gotten worse. The pneumonia has spread and has now affected 90% of her lungs. Although the specialists say that clinically she looks to have improved by 10%, the x-rays say otherwise and she still hasn't eaten any food since Sunday. The doctors told us that she still has a shot to make it, but she would have to remain in their care for at least two more days to give her a legitimate chance. We can't even fathom turning our backs on Mavis. We couldn't live with ourselves if we didn't give her the fighting chance that she deserved, so today we signed her up for another two days of 24/7 treatment.
Now our problem is finding a way to pay all of the vet bills that have started to pile up. We've only had the pleasure of having Mavis for 5 days and we're looking at paying about $4,000 in vet bills. Although she has only been with us for a short time, Mavis already holds a special place in both our hearts. Though Matthew and I don't like the thought of resorting to ways to raise money such as this, we are desperate to find a way to be there for Mavis as long as she needs us. Any help you could contribute towards our efforts would be greatly appreciated and we would be forever in your debt.
Mahaley & Matthew
DonationsSee top donations
- Deb Colomb
- Carla Contreras
- Sarah Septoff
- Kurt Blumeyer
- Cory Redmond
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more