On Thursday May 11th I felt he was going down hill again and took him to my vet in Tahoe. We did more Xrays and discovered the material had not moved. The vet (Mr. H) who cares so much from Gibbs suggested to give him a little more time and thought it was starting to move, so we gave more fluids and kept him quiet to let it pass, this vet bill was $500. Two days later, we went for a re check to make sure everything was moving along. Took another Xray and the foreign objects looked like they made it to the colon (vet bill $350). Yay! And a few days later he pooped out some rocks. Yes, rocks. So I thought he was on the mend but he kept going up and having a great day then he would regurgitate and be lethargic, then have another great day.
On Friday night of May 19th, he got incredibly ill again. This time I rushed him down to Loomis Basin Veterinary because they have a full 24 hour emergency with the best surgeons and doctors I could find. We did multiple ultrasounds and finally went in for exploratory surgery because we couldn’t find anything wrong except extreme inflammation through his stomach and GI track. There were no foreign objects found but what was discovered was his stomach doesn’t contract correctly for some reason. He seems to have a motility issue, this could have been brought on by an allergy, an irritation (rocks), he could have a disease or he could have a congenital issue (born with it). While in surgery the doctors took biopsies and we are waiting to get those results.
The hard part with Gibbs is that when he feels good, he feels great and acts like the happiest of puppies, then he gets sick and can’t keep food down, but then he starts feeling good again, so we are doing everything we can to fix this problem if it is fixable, he is now home with me and he is happy and comfortable and is eating every hour. He spent 7 days are Loomis Basin with vet bills totaling just over $7000. Because we couldn’t find answers and the doctors are convinced it’s something that might be manageable I have kept pouring money into the search. But now I’ve almost everything I have into these vet bills and any bit of help could help both of us. Thank you for all the love and support, Gibson has an army behind him and we hope the biopsies will leave us with an answer.