Please Help Baby Gibbs Recover!

Gibson is a Husky Cattledog mix who has touched so many people in his short life. I adopted Gibbs from NorSled on April 21st 2017, I couldn’t believe how quick we bonded to each other, we never left each other’s sides until he had to be in the hospital. Even if that meant me putting him in my backpack to hike up a mountain in Tahoe, he loves that more than anything. Gibbs started getting sick with me about a week and a half into having him, he started vomiting infrequently (as puppies do) but when he did it two days in a row I started him on a bland diet. It resolved the problem for three days and then he started vomiting blood and had bloody stool. I rushed in to the ER early Monday morning ( May 8th) and it looked although he had some small foreign objects in his stomach. He was placed on IV fluids and given all sorts of meds to help him pass it. This vet bill totaled $850. I took him home and Monday night and he seemed to perk up and feel a little better. The blood in his stool was subsiding as well and he stopped vomiting, although, he did regurgitate a few times.

On Thursday May 11th I felt he was going down hill again and took him to my vet in Tahoe. We did more Xrays and discovered the material had not moved. The vet (Mr. H) who cares so much from Gibbs suggested to give him a little more time and thought it was starting to move, so we gave more fluids and kept him quiet to let it pass, this vet bill was $500. Two days later, we went for a re check to make sure everything was moving along. Took another Xray and the foreign objects looked like they made it to the colon (vet bill $350). Yay! And a few days later he pooped out some rocks. Yes, rocks. So I thought he was on the mend but he kept going up and having a great day then he would regurgitate and be lethargic, then have another great day.

On Friday night of May 19th, he got incredibly ill again. This time I rushed him down to Loomis Basin Veterinary because they have a full 24 hour emergency with the best surgeons and doctors I could find. We did multiple ultrasounds and finally went in for exploratory surgery because we couldn’t find anything wrong except extreme inflammation through his stomach and GI track. There were no foreign objects found but what was discovered was his stomach doesn’t contract correctly for some reason. He seems to have a motility issue, this could have been brought on by an allergy, an irritation (rocks), he could have a disease or he could have a congenital issue (born with it). While in surgery the doctors took biopsies and we are waiting to get those results.

The hard part with Gibbs is that when he feels good, he feels great and acts like the happiest of puppies, then he gets sick and can’t keep food down, but then he starts feeling good again, so we are doing everything we can to fix this problem if it is fixable, he is now home with me and he is happy and comfortable and is eating every hour. He spent 7 days are Loomis Basin with vet bills totaling just over $7000. Because we couldn’t find answers and the doctors are convinced it’s something that might be manageable I have kept pouring money into the search. But now I’ve almost everything I have into these vet bills and any bit of help could help both of us. Thank you for all the love and support, Gibson has an army behind him and we hope the biopsies will leave us with an answer.


 See top
  • Debbie Wallace 
    • $150 
    • 43 mos
  • John Homewood 
    • $50 
    • 45 mos
  • Jason Krueger 
    • $50 
    • 45 mos
  • William Nichols 
    • $100 
    • 45 mos
  • Barbara Langworthy 
    • $25 
    • 45 mos
See all


Mishaela Chavez 
Truckee, CA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more