This is the house they left behind:
And sadly, this is what they came back to find:
The investigators from the Fire Service found that the terrible electrical storm on the evening of 7 September had caused a lightning bolt to strike the house which started the fire. The closest neighbours are 5km away, so nobody heard or suspected a thing. By the time Pamela and Jon arrived home late Monday afternoon, 10 September, there was no house - nothing left, except some smouldering ashes.
And what is really sad, is that there was no insurance on the house. All their worldly possessions – furniture, clothing, books, musical instruments, electrical equipment, piano, Fender and Gibson guitars, computers, appliances, whitegoods, photos, artwork, saucepans, crockery – everything is gone!
So what do they do now? After the initial shock, and having had some days to think about things, Pamela and Jon have decided to complete a partially-built cabin on the block, and make it liveable. They are both pensioners and have no funds, so this is why we have started a GoFundMe campaign.
Anything you could possibly contribute to this fund to help them get on their feet, would be most appreciated. Everything, unfortunately, costs money, and they are in need of some basic building materials such as timber, hardware, solar batteries, toilet etc. - the total estimate of their immediate need coming to around $10,000. They are hoping to salvage some roofing iron to use on the cabin walls and roof. They understand that they will never be able to recover what was lost, but would like to continue to live on their bush block, rather than have to rent elsewhere. At least they are alive, and are prepared to live simply with just the basics.
We thank you very much, in anticipation, for your generosity and kind donation.
- Lucinda Ramsay
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more