The recent earthquake in the Al Haouz Province of Morocco has left numerous communities in dire need of assistance. Homes have been destroyed, families displaced, and basic necessities are scarce. The roads to most towns in the mountains are currently blocked by boulders and rocks fallen from the event.
I am safe and most people I know are safe but the community is in desperate need of help and support - many houses are destroyed. I am working with the President of the area to allocate where supplies and funds will go. We have 74 villages devastated around the region that are in immediate need of help. We are launching this GoFundMe campaign to do this.
How am I connected to the people I am fundraising for:
Since June 2023 I have been visiting, staying and working in Imlil - I have become very close to the community, attended multiple weddings and have started managing the Imlil Lodge in Aremd in the Atlas Mountains - these people have become family. The owner of the Lodge Jamal Imerhane who recently won a government seat as the president of the Imlil region. Jamal and I are working together to asses the damage over 74 villages in his jurisdiction.
Our Goal: We aim to raise funds to provide immediate relief and long-term assistance to the affected communities. Even a small contribution will make a significant difference in their lives.
We are seeking donations to provide the following essential supplies and services:
Food: Nutritious meals and non-perishable items to sustain families in the short term.
Clothing: Warm clothing and blankets to protect against the harsh mountain climate.
Water: Clean drinking water as many houses have been completely destroyed
Clearing the Road: Funding to help clear debris from roads and restore access to isolated areas.
Medical Care: Medical supplies, first aid kits, and support for healthcare professionals for short term and long term care.
Transportation: Assistance to ensure transportation for those in need in and out of the city.
Temporary Shelter: Tents and temporary housing for displaced families.
Rebuilding: Funds to help rebuild homes, schools, and infrastructure.
Here is the action plans for distributing the funds to the people in the mountains:
The funds from GoFundMe are being sent to my bank account, and be immediately used in the following ways in 3 different categories:
1. Emergency Supplies
2. Medical Supplies
3. Housing and Transportation.
Process for delivering the funds to the people:
- Emergency supplies: Food, water, clothing, and medical supplies will be purchased in Marrakesh and delivered by van to the region of Asni - which is the closest location that can be reached by car - as the mountains are so remote and the roads are riddle with boulders and debris - After Asni supplies will then be transferred via toktoks, motor cycles, horses and donkeys up to the mountains at a central location within the town of Aremd. From there the goods will then be taken to each of the other villages and distributed to those in the most dire situations (mainly those who lost their houses) first.
- Medical aid: Medical supplies will be distributed and administered immediately to those who need it. Those who need more serious care will be taken to local hospitals with availability, we will pay for medical services and transportation to get to hospital.
- Housing: We are also doing a survey of who is immediately without a home and funds will be used to provide temporary housing such as tents or stay at local hotels. If possible, after purchasing Emergency and medical supplies, any remaining funds will be donated to help families start to rebuild their homes.
- Transportation: Those who would like to leave Imlil and the region will be provided transport into the city of Marrakesh or out areas as needed via transport vans once the roads have opened. Payment for gas and driver services will be made directly to the transportation companies.
I (Seleena Johal) am the sole distributor of funds directly - I will be passing some of the necessary funds to President Jamal who is managing the local infrastructure and crises. A large majority of the funds will be used to purchase items in Marrakesh with my debit card and also paid directly in cash to purchase aid - and paid directly to hospitals for any treatment needed."
As Jamal's right hand woman - I am currently in charge of having things made for the aid, such as tents here in Marrakesh - also I will be using my debit card to pay for these aid items such as medicines, toiletries, water and food. The majority of the aid that is being delivered to Jamal is through physical items, any cash being paid will be done through me for transportation logistics.
Gofundme does not support the transfer of funds to Morocco, which is why I am using my account. Myself (Seleena Johaal) and Jamal are the only recipients of funds.
Every contribution counts, even just your support, no matter how big or small, can make a difference in the lives of those struggling in the aftermath of this traumatic earthquake. Together, we can help these resilient communities get back on their feet.
Please share this fundraiser with your friends, family, and social media to maximize our impact.
Your generosity will bring hope to the Atlas Mountain communities during this challenging time.
Thank you for your compassion and support.