I want to share with you the story of Sheryl and Shawn Palmer, my mother and stepfather. On Christmas, Sheryl and Shawn both woke up at 1:00 am to a blazing house fire. Luckily, no one was hurt, but they lost their house and all of their possessions. Currently they're staying in a hotel and waiting for temporary housing while they begin rebuilding their house.
Sheryl and Shawn lived in an apartment for many years while Shawn was ill and my mother worked. Shawn was on dialysis for two years until they got the miracle call just over a year ago that Shawn was able to get a liver and kidney transplant. Things began looking up, and in June my mom retired and expressed that she wanted to have a home of their own to settle into. They bought this house just over a month ago, in Paola, KS, outside the city where they could both relax. Then, this Christmas, it went up in flames due to an electrical fire that started in their garage and spread to the back of the house. Their house has so much damage, it will need to be almost entirely rebuilt. They lost all of their belongings, including warm clothing and life memorabilia.
I made a rough estimate as to how much they will need to help support their situation, but truly, anything will help. Luckily they have insurance, but the rebuilding costs will likely surmount what their insurance will cover. They also need help buying warm clothes for the winter and general necessities. Big or small, anything that you can contribute to Sheryl and Shawn will be a huge blessing. Those who know my mother know that she has a heart of gold. She's most famously known for being a cake artist who creates these amazing sculpted cakes. They've been referred to as "sugary fantasies." The part of the house that took the biggest hit was her bakery, which was located in the back of the house.
Thank you for taking the time for me to share this story, and thank you, thank you, thank you for any amount of support.