Help for the Evans(Reid) family

Hello everyone, this is Vanessa - Tesha's sister in law. I'm making this campaign in hopes to relieve some financial stress and to keep everyone posted on Shelby's condition.

Shelby started feeling sick on October 12th. It began with a high fever and vomiting. On October 14th his Mom took him into the Creston hospital where they did blood work and decided that he was suffering from appendicitis. On October 15th they were sent to Cranbrook to consult with the pediatrician. The pediatrician said it was not his appendix and was instead just a bad viral infection and sent him home, so back to Creston they went. on October 16, his symptoms got worse. Now along with the vomiting and high fever, came excruciating abdominal pain. So they headed back to the Creston hospital. This time they decided that maybe there was something more than just a viral infection going on, and on October 17th they ambulanced him back to the Cranbrook hospital. From there they waited to get into a CT scan; which once finally done showed that his bowels were swollen and his appendix had in fact ruptured...days ago, leaving Shelby's little body septic for days. As there is no pediatric surgeon in the vacinity, the decision was made to air lift him to either Vancouver or Calgary Children's Hospital. But then came another problem, due to severe weather they could not fly. A second plan was made to ambulance him to Calgary, but a fire caused road closures in the Crowsnest Pass and that was not a possibility either. So they could do nothing but wait. They put Shelby on a strong dose of antiobiotics and waited out the storm. On October 18th at 2:30am they finally got permission to fly and off to Vancouver Children's Hospital Shelby and his Mom went. Dad following in their family vehicle. Once they got there it was discovered that his poison levels were too high and the antibiotics needed longer to work before surgery could be performed. Finally at about 2am on October 19th Shelby made it into surgery, after being septic for almost a week! He is strong and he made it through surgery but that was only half the battle. He now has a 4 inch incision in his tummy, a tube draining the poision out of his abdomen and another tube helping him breathe. The doctors say that he should be able to leave Vancouver in a week. On October 20th he is still sick, his blood pressure is low, but he is sitting up for the first time in what feels like forever. Today, October 21st - it appears now like they will be there longer than a week. The protein levels in Shelby's blood are low, causing the extra fluids to disperse into his body instead of his blood, causing his whole body to swell.
As all of this came on suddenly, his family was not financially prepared. They are living out of Ronald McDonald house in Vancouver and are grateful that that expense is covered. However, they left in the middle of the night with nothing, and are strugging to come up with money to cover their meals and other expenses. His Mom and Dad need to eat in Vancouver for another week (minimal) and need to replenish their funds from driving back and forth to Cranbrook hospital numerous times and driving to and around Vancouver. Any little bit helps. If you can even donate just $10 it would be incredibly appreciated!
Thank you from the Evans and Reid families.

Donations

 See top
  • Natalie Grewal 
    • $100 
    • 34 mos
  • Shelley J Voight  
    • $200 
    • 34 mos
  • Patricia & Bruce Paterson 
    • $30 
    • 34 mos
  • Brian Karmason 
    • $50 
    • 34 mos
  • Warren Penner 
    • $150 
    • 34 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Vanessa Reid 
Organizer
Creston, BC
Tesha Reid 
Beneficiary
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more