My dear friends Cheryl and Don Axton lost everything but their lives to the River Fire in Colfax on Wednesday afternoon; their home, their rental, their at-home business, and all of their belongings. All they have left are the clothes they were wearing. Cheryl was driving home after errands and saw the plume of smoke and couldn’t get back. Don, at the house near the Bear River, was on the property watering when he heard the roar of the fire and had to flee immediately. Tragically, their house insurance had just lapsed. They’re not sure if their sweet cat survived.
Cheryl, retired from Sierra College, has recently recovered from major surgery, which had already put a strain on their finances. I’ve known them since they moved here 24 years ago, our daughters were best friends in grade school. This couple is one of the most loving, giving, and kind hearted people I know. I had to convince them to do this GoFundMe account.
Please help if you can, any contribution will make a huge difference in their lives.
DonationsSee top donations
- Amanda Sumner
- David de la Fuente
- Jaskaran Parhar
- Lori Maddams
- Michael Halbern
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more