Hi all, we wanted to create this fundraiser as a place for Bruce’s community to get the latest updates on Dad’s medical journey, offer prayer requests, and highlight other needs as they come up. Those of you that follow Dad on his blog or Facebook have likely seen his latest posts. However, given the significant changes in his health status and Mom and Dad’s life, we sought their permission to share a few more details about what has happened, what is ongoing, and how you can help to support and encourage them.
What Has Happened
Bruce underwent surgery on his spinal stenosis in early 2021. It was expected to be a minor surgery followed by a solid recovery and standard physical therapy. Unfortunately, his recovery did not go as expected.
His recovery was plagued with progressive worsening weakness in his extremities and labored breathing. Because of these issues, he returned to the hospital shortly after his surgery and was admitted for an extensive work-up.
After 3 weeks in the hospital and extensive tests and labs, his weakness progressed and he was unable to stand or walk without significant assistance. His breathing also became progressively labored, requiring almost continuous assistance from a breathing device.
The medical team recommended that he transition to inpatient rehabilitation for several weeks in order to help evaluate, do physical and occupational therapy, and develop a plan before he would ultimately transition home.
His current condition has rendered a return to work implausible and has required an early transition to retirement.
What is Ongoing
Bruce has a suspected diagnosis of CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy), with ALS in the picture. He is currently in the middle of treatment for CIDP, which his doctors hope will minimize his symptoms and help recover some lost mobility.
Bruce is unable to walk and requires a power wheelchair for mobility. Additionally, he has a severely weakened diaphragm and needs a BIPAP machine to assist his breathing.
Thanks to the inpatient rehab team, some of his immediate needs for medical equipment have been met. Health insurance has covered a small amount of his growing medical expenses and we expect them to grow as his hospital bills come due.
How You Can Help
Many of you have reached out, expressed your love and support, and asked what you can do to help. First and foremost, we ask for continued prayer for miraculous healing. We have not lost hope and still believe that God’s work through Bruce is far from finished. For those who wish to bless them financially, your support is highly appreciated as they shoulder the growing burden of medical costs.
We are so grateful for these two amazing human-beings and know that they have blessed many of you through the years. Thank you for your prayers, support and love during these challenging times.
Specific Prayer Needs:
- Bruce’s miraculous recovery.
- No matter God’s answer to our prayers, that His Name be glorified and our family’s faith strengthened.
- Financial peace for Bruce and Yvonne during their retirement years.
- For a definitive diagnosis (Bruce’s symptoms don’t fully align with CIDP) and wisdom for his doctors and care team.
These are specific needs that we are raising funds for. Any leads, recommendations, suggestions, or donations for any of these needs are gladly accepted and greatly appreciated.
Specific Financial Needs:
Financial contritions will be used on the following:
- Financial assistance for ongoing medical bills, medications, treatments, and home medical assistance. Since Bruce was in the hospital for almost two months, his medical bills and ongoing care has limited coverage through his insurance.
- Accessible Transportation: We are finding it is extremely difficult to get Bruce in and out of the car making it very difficult for him to go anywhere. The financial ability to rent a handicap accessible vehicle will help him be able to get transport to appointments and get out of the house.
- Adjustable bed: There is a need for an adjustable queen size bed to fit in their bedroom. Bruce has been having a difficult time sleeping because of his inability to move and get comfortable. This will help him be able to adjust and get a good night’s rest.
If you would like to send anything via mail, please contact us for Bruce & Yvonne's address. Thank you for your prayers and contributions as we help support Bruce & Yvonne!
DonationsSee top donations
- Dale Hamilton
- Jessica Gonzalez Skupien