Hi! My name is Brooke McCarthy, and I am the writer, producer, and solo performer for my award-winning, original, one-woman cabaret-comedy show, How to be an Ethical Slut. (#HTBAES).
Synopsis: Experience the ride of your life as an unethical slut penetrates lies, STDs, triads, orgies, and love in her musical journey to becoming an Ethical Slut. Don’t miss this original one-woman cabaret-comedy show by and starring Brooke McCarthy.
Updates: Throughout 2022, I have toured my show to 7 cities throughout the US, including Charlotte, Orlando, Memphis, Evansville, St. Louis, Philadelphia, and Hartford. The show is gaining a ton of momentum and continues to receive positive feedback.
Awards: I have won several awards so far, including:
- Best of Fest at the Hartford Fringe Festival
- Philly Fringie (Audience Choice Award) at the Philadelphia Fringe Festival
- Spirit of the Fringe at the St. Louis Fringe Festival
Feedback: Check out some of the anonymous audience feedback from Philly:
- "So gutsy, honest, informative, and I loved the original songs! Such an incredible voice!"
- "So inventive. And as a polyamorous person, I greatly appreciated how this show educated. Well done!"
- "Brooke McCarthy was so funny and charming for the quick 60 minutes we were enchanted with Blake! For a one-woman show, it was nothing less than empowering as Brooke sang new lyrics to familiar songs. She reminded us all the best thing humans have is the choice to be open and honest, and how even sluts can be ethical! I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and would love to see it again!"
- "She was so fun and her stage presence is so captivating. It was such a great, full, rich story."
Press: I even had an incredible radio interview with WHYY (Philadelphia's NPR station), which you can check out below. Not to mention, several other articles written about my show which you can find on the show's website.
I believe in what I do, and I want to continue spreading the slutty word across the US and eventually to Canada and the UK. That means I really need your support!
More funding? As of now, I have several shows lined up for the start of 2023 (as well as a networking conference). It is becoming increasingly unmanageable for me to continue primarily self-funding my projects as my cities, venues, exposure, and marketing demands exponentially grow.
Why do I need the funds?
- To rent the performance venues
- To cover production fees
- To assist in travel expenses (gas, lodging when I can't couch surf with friends, etc.)
- To compensate my production team (director, stage manager, lighting designer, front of house staff)
- To successfully market, promote, and produce the show
- And more!
Please consider donating to help!
What is my show about and why does it matter, you ask?
The Story: Blake has a problem – she is wrestling with a desire for a loving monogamous relationship…and so much more. Will Blake’s latest and more mature love interest Guy be the answer to her orgiastic fantasies of love and sexual gratification? Or is it impossible to be an Ethical Slut.
This is an original one-woman cabaret comedy show. The show follows the protagonist, Blake Valentini, as she struggles between dating the socially acceptable way -- monogamy -- or daring to open her mind to unusual relationship pleasures and tribulations. This is a bold, sexy, and vulnerable story that touches upon topics that are often unseen onstage like sexual health and nonconventional relationship styles. The story is set up like a musical cabaret interspersed with a stand-up comedy feel.
The Style: This is a theatrical play set as a cabaret show infused with lots of comedy. I incorporate varying musical genres into the show to connect with every audience member. The music ranges from jazz and musical theater to pop, plus an original song called Three is Better with lyrics by me and composition by Sarah Clemency.
The Why: Of all the reasons I chose to write this show, the messages of honesty and acceptance continue to inspire me the most. Not only is non-monogamy not the norm in our society, but it was also something I did not talk about openly in my personal life, nor is it something that often appears on stage in a positive light. I decided to use parts of my own life to craft a story that inspires honesty in our relationships while encouraging us to embrace the unconventional ways people may love each other. After all, love is love.
About the Artists:
Brooke McCarthy (Actor/Playwright) holds her MFA in Acting from the University of Georgia. She's originally from NJ and currently resides in Charlotte, NC. She is an actor, singer, dancer, content creator (YouTube: Bartender Brookie), playwright, and teaching artist. Recent Credits: Avery in Niagara Falls (Aurora Theatre & UGA). International Credit: Peas, Patelin, & Purgation (Italy). Regional credits: Broadway Theatre of Pitman (Shrek, Can-Can, Return of the Phantom), Theater with a View (Rabbit Hole), Philly Improv Theatre. www.brookemccarthy.com
Robyn Accetta (Director) is an Austin-based actor and teaching artist who holds her MFA in Acting from the University of Georgia. She’s originally from Dover, DE, however, her training has taken her to Chicago (The Theatre School at DePaul University, The Actors Studio), New York City (Circle in the Square Theatre School), and Michigan State University, where she received her BA in Theatre. www.robynaccetta.com
John Patrick Bray (Dramaturg) is a new play dramaturg, scholar, anthology editor, playwright, and screenwriter. He has edited The Best American Short Plays 2018-2019 and the forthcoming Stage It, Stream It! Plays for Virtual Theatre (April 2023) for Applause Theatre and Cinema Books. He has an MFA in Playwriting from the Actors Studio Drama School at The New School, a PhD in Theatre from LSU, and he is the Graduate Coordinator in the Department of Theatre and Film Studies at UGA. www.johnpatrickbray.com
Follow the Show's Adventures:
- Show Website: www.howtobeanethicalslut.com
- Instagram: @howtobeanethicalslut or https://www.instagram.com/howtobeanethicalslut
- TikTok: @howtobeanethicalslut or https://www.tiktok.com/@howtobeanethicalslut
- Highlight Reel: Check out the highlight reel
The Show's History & Development
- This show began development in August of 2020 and had its first fully staged debut in November 2020. The debut took place in Athens, GA at Hendershot's Coffee for a successful three-night run for a small invite-only audience while simultaneously being streamed to over 200 people across the US, Europe, and Asia.
- I tweaked the script between 2021-2022 (various cuts and alterations were made as well as the addition of an original song).
- It was selected as 1 of 7 shows to be in SETC’s 2022 Fringe Festival in Memphis, TN. The show had the most attendees out of all other Fringe shows with 100+ audience members.
- It performed on the Outdoor Stage in Orlando's Fringe Festival on May 23rd and was well attended.
- The show has had 4 sold-out shows at Stumptown Station in Matthews, NC (just outside of Charlotte).
- It performed to a sold-out charity event in Evansville, IN on June 18, 2022.
- It won "Spirit of the Fringe" during the St. Louis' 2022 Fringe Festival with 2 packed performances.
- It won a "Philly Fringe" (aka audience choice award during week 3 of the festival) during Philly Fringe and had 6 packed performances.
- It won "Best of Fest" at the Hartford Fringe Festival with a 4 popular shows.
- Frontera Fest (in Austin, TX): 3 shows in January-February 2023
- NYC's Frigid Fest: 5 performances in February-March of 2023
- Davenport's Cabaret Bar in Chicago: Dates TBD 2023.
- And more to come! Stay tuned!
Addtionally, I will be attending the APAP Conference in NYC in January 2023 to network with producers, managers, and other touring artists. (APAP is the Association of Performing Arts Professionals).
Thank you so much for taking the time to read over this fundraiser. Being an artist has been such an important part of my life, so any donation of any amount will mean so much to me. Thank you for your support. Stay slutty! <3