Help baby Fiona

As most of you already know, Allen and I are expecting our baby girl the first week of September, so time is quickly approaching. Although we are very excited about her arrival, we received some news back in May that our daughter has Spina Bifida. She has what’s known as Myelomeningocele and is the most severe kind of Spina Bifida which is a birth defect of the spinal cord in which the spinal canal did not close normally during the first few weeks of development. Upon further testing through MRI we also found out that she has Chiari 2 Malformation. Chiari is a defect where the brain stem is pulled down into the spinal column. We have been monitoring baby girl very closely, and thus far she has some fluid on her ventricles and may also need a shunt. Although we do not know we have been hopeful we do not know what to expect once she is born as far as what her disabilities may be. Doctors have not really been able to tell us either cause it’s a wait and see situation.             As her arrival quickly approaches (in 3 weeks) all we know is that she will need spinal closure surgery soon after birth. We won’t be able to hold her or feed her for as much as Three weeks. We also don’t know what her abilities will be as far as if she is going to have problems with walking, eating, breathing, swallowing etc. those are all wait and see outcomes. I must say, as strong as I am, I am truly starting to freak out and all the what if’s are starting to cloud my brain. After baby girl has her surgery she will be monitored and we will know if she needs a shunt to prevent further fluid on her brain. During her hospital stay I will be making arrangements to stay at the Ronald McDonald house to be closer to her and to make my travels to the hospital easier for the time being. There are so many unknowns around this situation. I won’t be able to work once she is here because I will be busy going back and forth to appointment for therapy and checkups with her. There are also items that we have not gotten due to the fact that we are not sure what she will need. As much as I prefer not to ask for help, we are unsure of what our finances will look like since we are losing my income for a lengthy period of time. Allen and I are asking for donations to help us get through at least for a couple weeks, the money donated will also be used to cover my stay at the Ronald McDonald house till we are able to bring her home. I would like to thank everyone in advance for any donations and prayers sent our way for a speedy recovery for baby girl. We really are appreciative of anything anyone can provide. Thank you so much, Erica and Allen

  • Frater Simon
    • $30 
    • 64 mos
  • Monique Morales
    • $50 
    • 65 mos
  • Katherine Cole
    • $100 
    • 65 mos
  • Anna Zotigh
    • $850 
    • 65 mos
  • Judy Delapp
    • $100 
    • 65 mos
See all


Erica Marie Hoard
Berwyn, IL

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.