“Clive” is the nickname we’ve given to a stray dog who has been lingering around the entrance of my elementary school in Settegast, TX this week. Every morning when I got to school, there was Clive, excited to see me and begging to come inside. Animal control was called a few times, but they were unable to catch him. I noticed he had a pretty horrible-looking skin condition, and was underweight, but was unable to see the extent as I always met him before sunrise.
Finally, on Friday, I decided to bite the bullet and try to help. By then, Clive had warmed up to me and followed me right to my car, where I was able to pick him up and put him in the backseat. He fell asleep while we were driving and could barely get up to exit the car. I then realized the extent of his health issues - Clive was very, very ill. I was unable to care for him in that moment, so I called around to rescues and, after hitting dead end after dead end, decided the basic healthcare at Harris County Animal Shelter was better than nothing.
I dropped sweet, sluggish Clive off there after feeding him and letting him rest for a couple hours. The intake staff told me it was likely that he would end up on the release sheet (euthanasia list) due to his state and their being way over capacity. I took his ID number and have been checking on him regularly.
Now, the clock is ticking. I am in contact with rescues who have told me the situation is very urgent. Some have offered to help Clive get out of the shelter and into a vet who can treat ALL his issues, but they are also extremely overwhelmed and resources are limited. If I can raise money to put toward his vet care, they will help get him rehabilitated and up for adoption.
So as you can see, saving Clive is going to be a group effort. He is going to need extensive vet care and a foster home (which is going to be tricky too). I am making these connections with rescues and possible fosters, but there is no way I can come up with this money on my own.
If you are able to contribute anything at all, I (and Clive) would really appreciate it! A share would be helpful too, to try to spread the word as much as possible. I’m setting the goal at $1000 even though Clive will probably exceed that amount - it is certainly a start.
I wll be posting updates and further details about which rescue takes him as things develop - before progress can be made, I need to be able to “put my money where my mouth is.”
Thank you for reading!!!