Help a family who's home was devastated by fire

On the 19th May 2018, Iqbal's family were at home at 6.30 pm when a fire broke out from their neighbours property. Their neighbour, who is a Leicester City Council tenant, had been using portable generators and it was one of these that had caught on fire which spread to Iqbal's home. 

At home at the time were Iqbal's wife and four daughters aged 5-15yrs. Iqbal was at work when the fire broke out and rushed home as soon as he had heard what had happened. 


The fire spread into Iqbal's home and the family was forced to evacuate into emergency accommodation. Unfortunately, the family did not settle well into the accommodation due to the overcrowding and stress the family was under. They left the emergency accommodation the following day due to stress and anxiety.


The family stayed with relatives for a couple of weeks in a one bed flat. They knew this was unsustainable with their large family however at least they felt safe. LCC informed their relative that the family couldn't stay any longer due to overcrowding and the family was forced to move out the following day.


The family sofa surfed for a few weeks until they were able to find a vacant property that they could just about afford to rent. The property they found needed a lot of work doing to it and Iqbal put his DIY skills to good use fixing up the property in return for reduced rent. However, it was still 4 months until the family managed to get hot water, heaters and to this day there is still no insulation in the walls.


The effect this has had on Iqbal's family is immense and the young children have been deeply affected by the trauma and chaotic living arrangements, overcrowding and lack of basic services. Iqbals eldest daughter is going through her GCSEs and this whole ordeal has really knocked her confidence and prevented her from focusing on her studies. Iqbals' eldest daughter has been diagnosed with psoriasis and her hair is falling out, doctors' have said this is a direct result of the stress of the fire and the subsequent house moves.   The other children are also affected in many different ways.


As Iqbal's home was a private property which unfortunately had no insurance at the time the family is stuck in a real situation where they are unable to buy another home. Leicester City Council has offered to buy the land at less than a third of the market value as long as the family can raise the selling fees. Iqbal is still paying the mortgage and has no additional income or savings to cover the costs of repairs which have been estimated to be £35,000. The house that the fire originated in has now been fully repaired and refurbished by Leicester City Council, yet Iqbal's home is still in ruins and uninhabitable.


Iqbal and his family have been visiting a local food bank at E2 in Beaumont Leys to help them through their situation and have been knocked from pillar to post in their attempts to get this resolved with Leicester City Council which has recently come to a dead end. 


If Iqbal was able to raise £35,000 it would mean that his family could get the repairs completed and move back into their home and their children can return to a sense of normality.
38056636_1553687449204018_r.jpeg38056636_1553687543946488_r.jpeg38056636_1553687562463011_r.jpeg

Donations

  • Anonymous 
    • £50 
    • 5 mos
  • Teresa Spilsbury 
    • £20 
    • 5 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • £5 
    • 6 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • £25 
    • 6 mos
  • Osama Wadri 
    • £100 
    • 6 mos
See all

Fundraising team: Team Rafique (3)

Martin Buchanan 
Organizer
Raised £350 from 7 donations
Leicester, East Midlands, United Kingdom
Iqbal Rafique 
Beneficiary
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more