Imagine having to send your children out to the streets to work so your family has food on the table and a roof over their heads. Imagine if your child was kidnapped, sold into slavery, and rescued only to have spent so much time outside the education system that it feels impossible to return.
Many children in Hanoi, Vietnam, miss out on an education due to abject poverty and the pressure for children to work and support their family. This can lead to children living on the streets, facing horrific dangers and lessening the likelihood of ever receiving a proper education and breaking the cycle of destitution.
Children are often rescued from a crisis, helped, and supported by existing organisations in Hanoi to be placed in school. However, due to the lack of facilities or funding, they are very limited in their ability, or unable to provide, a vital transition period, one that prepares the child for the education system.
How we help
We (Mel & Eli) are looking to establish a ‘step-in’ education centre that can help prepare children to transition into the Vietnamese school system or vocational training.
With your help, we are aiming to provide an engaging learning environment that supports a framework of core lessons, complementing the Vietnamese curriculum. The learning centre, among other services and facilities, will provide:
- An initial assessment service to evaluate the transitional needs of individual children in getting into school, vocational training, or other.
- Qualified Vietnamese teaching staff (including special needs backgrounds).
- Life skills/school behaviour awareness.
- An introduction to IT – fun and engaging learning on desktop or tablet.
- A book library.
- Enrichment group activities – dependent on the needs of individual children.
- Stationery and supplies.
Our intention is to work closely with, and support, organisations that already provide a range of children’s services in Hanoi.
Here’s how you can help
We are in the early startup stage and our day jobs are slowing us down. Your special gift can help us get this project underway and in full swing by June 2019.
Your donation will help fund the following:
- Finalisation of our research into viability and functional how-to - Finding partners to support us and the children - Writing applications for funding to support our financial future - Finding and paying a Vietnamese lawyer to consult in set up - NGO/Business set up fees - Accountancy fees for initial business advice - General startup costs
All children deserve to have an education and your gift will make a huge difference in their lives.
Thank you so very, very much! We’ll keep you posted on how the project is progressing because of your amazing generosity.