I (Beth Philley) write the blog at doggies.com, and was recently privileged to meet this magnificent dog, so I've been following this shooting story very closely. You can check for details at doggies.com/blog.
In visiting with several officers at the emergency clinic, I was told that the bullet-proof vests in Canton are very old, very heavy, and very rarely used.
I'd like to raise enough money to purchase new vests for all of the Canton PD dogs, as well as to help cover Jethro's vet bills. Any money in excess of what is needed will be used to purchase vests for other K-9 units in Stark County and / or to purchase pet-sized oxygen masks for fire departments in Stark County.
Please help if you can!
The customer service team at Go Fund Me has asked me to provide the following information:
1. Who you are: As stated above, my name is Beth Philley
2. Where you're from: I live in Canton, Ohio
3. Your relationship to the parties you're raising funds for: I randomly ran into Officer Davis & Jethro at the car wash a few days before the shooting and posted them on the blog I write at doggies.com. I was devastated when I learned of the shooting and felt somewhat of a personal connection to them because we had just met. When someone posted on Facebook that a fund ought to be set up, I did so. Officer Davis, the Canton PD, and the Police K9 Association know who I am and know that the fund has been set up.
4. How the funds will be spent (be specific as possible) I will be meeting, hopefully next week, with officials from the Canton PD K9 Unit and the Police K9 Association to make decisions as to how the funds can most effectively be spent. All funds will be expended as Canton PD and the Police K9 Association see fit. How the funds are spent will be shared both here and on the blog at doggies.com, providing complete transparency.
5. How you intend to get the funds to those in need. I've never worked with GoFundMe before, so I'm not sure how the disbursement process works, but the money will go (if possible) directly to the PD or K9 association. If not, I will run it through my account, but the accounts will be balanced - money in / money out. As I've said, the PD is aware of the campaign. I'm pretty sure I'd be a fool to cheat them when they can easily check to see the total amount of the donations and the amount they subsequently get from me.
DonationsSee top donations
- Kelly Vantrease
- Kathy Best
- john king
- Jennie Lederer
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more