Our group started organically through conversations between a small group of Downers Grove moms who were concerned about issues our children face today such as stress, anxiety, depression, and social media/technology. We realized that many other parents have the same concerns and that these issues are affecting our youth in vast numbers, yet there are few opportunities at this stage where parents can vent frustrations, share resources, or connect with others who are in similar situations.
We saw a need in our community to provide local resources and more opportunities for parents to learn, connect and engage with each other. In addition, grit2 hopes to foster collaboration between our schools, community, parents and teens to provide a solid network of support. We need to talk about mental health, teach kids resiliency, and help them realize that THEY have the power to take steps towards mental wellness.
And that’s how grit2 was born.
grit2 is a new 501c3 that unites and educates our community to build teen resiliency:
grit2 (pronounced “grit-two”) stands for Growing Resiliency in Teens Together. Our mission is to empower today’s teens to flourish in mind, body and spirit by connecting the community with information, tools and resources. Creating alliances and strengthening connections between community groups will provide a stronger support system in which our teens can flourish.
How we hope to bring our community together:
We’ve identified these opportunities to help the community learn, connect and engage:
1) Conversation circles are small, private group discussions about a shared concern that are led by a professional in that particular subject area.
2) Speakers/Panel Discussions involve an overview from an expert, followed by a question and answer session.
3) Alliances between school administration, teachers, counselors and other advocacy groups will identify resource gaps and brainstorm potential solutions.
4) Our grit2 website allows users to browse through topics that are pertinent to their needs on their own time. Visit www.grit2.org to find information about upcoming events, a downloadable calendar and a list of local resources by subject area.
5) Our survey will allow the community to determine pertinent topics so please take our survey to tell us what subject areas you’d like to learn more about.
We're still in our infancy as a 501c3 and your generous donations will allow us to connect, collaborate and educate in order to raise resilient, empowered teens!
THANK YOU for your support!
- Steven Huyser-Honig
- Karoline Kellam
- Debra Kartsounes
Fundraising team: grit2 Executive Board (5)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more