Living in another country can be extremely difficult; dealing with culture shock, everything new and strange, sometimes feeling unwelcome, trying to earn an income and navigate your new life. Having a family can add to the pressure of trying to figure things out in a short amount of time. This is the situation most refugees find themselves in here in the States. The added challenge for them is most are coming from severe upheaval, violence and persecution.
Here in Chandler, Arizona we have communities of Somalis, Ethiopians, Congolese, and others living nearby. We want them to feel welcome and at home here. We want to help them by setting up a garden/farm at our church which has several acres of land available. This will serve three main purposes (Please watch the video for more details):
1. Build refugees into our community
2. Provide a source of income for the refugees
3. Give them a rewarding and productive activity that they will make them feel more at home
To get it off the ground (or in the ground:)) we need to raise $10,000. This will be used for:
1. The engineering and design of the plot of land.
2. For water, a secondary canal on the property has to be designed and built and possibly a pump.
2. Grading and furrowing of the land. We are hoping to develop 2 acres initially.
3. Top soil and fertilizer for the land.
4. A storage shed and tools.
5. A fence around the shed and pump.
We hope to raise the funds by the end of April, 2016. We are planning to grade the land in April and start the water works.
Thank you so much for your consideration of this need. Any amount you can contribute will help and be greatly appreciated. We will update the video and this site as things develop. Your gift will be tax deductible since the church is a certified charity.