GEICO United Labor Union
WHO ARE WE?
GEICO United Labor Union is a group of Buffalo GEICO employees uniting to fight for better wages, working conditions, and benefits for all. It's no secret that GEICO puts profit above people. If workers stand together, they have the power to change the company's priorities. Your donations have the potential to shape the lives of GEICO employees for generations to come.
- Stopped selling insurance over the phone in 16 states, displacing almost half of GEICO auto sales agents countrywide.
- Closed all local offices in California without offering impacted employees any severance pay.
- Laid off large numbers of attorneys and IT staff.
- Is eliminating entire underwriting departments.
- Has not contributed to our retirement accounts since Jan 2021.
- Might be eliminating profit sharing, which means everyone will be making 20% less than they have for years.
- Does not give its employees raises that are higher than inflation, effectively paying them less and less as time goes by.
- After adjusting for inflation and lack of profit-sharing, GEICO has effectively given every single employee a 30% pay cut.
- Hires new employees at the same (or higher) salaries than those who have been with the company for years.
- Does not value its tenured employees. GEICO hires outsiders for positions that could be easily filled internally and does not give most internal candidates feedback when they don't get the jobs they applied for.
- Does not adjust workload expectations and performance appraisals for employees returning from legally protected leave, hence allowing such leave to impact their future pay and rating negatively.
- Keeps sending false union-busting emails in order to spread fear and hinder concerted activity.
- In response, we are organizing an independent (non-affiliated) labor union from the ground up to represent GEICO employees in Buffalo, NY.
WHAT WILL DONATIONS BE USED FOR?
GEICO United is an entirely grassroots movement; hence no part of donations will be used as salaries. Everyone working on the campaign is an unpaid volunteer. GEICO employees in Buffalo have been working remotely since 3/19/2020, so organizing a union is exceptionally challenging.
- We need approximately $2700 to send each employee just one letter in the mail.
- For in-person canvassing, the number is even greater. It costs about one tank of gas to visit 50 employees at their homes. So gas alone will cost over $3000.
- Our website and online presence have cost around $1000 so far.
- We need funding for t-shirts ($25 each), flyers, posters and signs ($3000).
- We need funding to host events (food for 100 people will cost around $700, and we have 2600 employees).
- We also need funding for attorneys and legal fees.
- And last but not least, once Buffalo is recognized, we'd like to organize additional locations beyond Buffalo, which will require additional funding.
If you wish to make your donation anonymous: Choose the "Don't display name publicly on the campaign" option underneath the donation amount and name fields. Click “Donate now” to finalize your donation.
UNIONIZING TAKES A TEAM. GET INVOLVED TODAY.
DonationsSee top donations
GEICO United Labor Union