Ethan's Medical Expenses

Ok, where do i start? I guess I'll start with a little backround information about myself. Through high school i never really tried my hardest at school work. I always did mediocre at best. That all changed my senior year when I realized I wanted to do something with my life. I ended up finishing my senior year with a 3.8 GPA but was only able to raise my overall GPA to about a 2.5. Despite those numbers I applied to The University of Wisconsin-Platteville and got accepted. All I could think was that this was my big break, my chance to go out and make something of my life! I majored in Biology with an emphesis in Pre-Medicine, I wanted to become a radiologist. I started school this last September and enjoyed every minute of being there. I got ahead on all of my homework, I joined the Pre-Health Society, and I never missed a class. After 4 weeks of college that's when everything fell apart. I went to the emergency room on September 25th with intense stomach pains. The doctor informed me that I had appendicitis and that I would have to go for an emergency appendectomy. The surgery took place at midnight and took a little over an hour. I was discharged from the hospital at about 1 that afternoon. I thought that everything would be good and I would be right back in class, but that isn't where my story ends... After being discharged, over the next couple days and I had begun burning 103 degree fevers. I went back to the doctor and they ran a CT scan and it was clear so they sent me home. Still the fevers continued, so i went back. The doctor then gave me antibiotics. Still they continued, so i went back for a third time. They repeated the CT scan and found 2 abscesses that had formed. They then sent me to St. Mary's hospital in Madison, Wisconsin. At the new hospital the CT scan was reviewed and they realized i had 4 abscesses instead of 2. They then proceeded to put a drain in my abdomen to clean out the pus. I was admitted to the hospital on October, 8th. After a few days they restricted my diet and made me NPO (nothing by mouth), and they put a Picc line in my arm and put me on IV nutrition. The following day I developed a blood clot in my lung and endured extreme pain and difficulty breathing. After a few days things began to get better. The abscesses had gotten smaller and i could breath easier. The only down side is a fistula formed and connected one of the abscesses to my small intestine. After 2 weeks of being in the hospital i began feeling good again. Slowly my medicine got switched from IV to pill form and things started to get better. They let me eat food again, starting with a liquid diet and slowly building up to normal food. On october 27th, after 19 days of being the hospital, the picc line was removed and i was discharged to go home. Even though i am home this isn't the end of things. I have a variety of pills i have to take and i will be on blood thinners for at least 6 months. There is a possibility of a future surgery in the upcoming months if the fistula doesn't heal itself. I also will have weekly check ups. Another downside is i still have the drain in my body hanging out to continue to clean the abscesses. The reason im here asking for help is because due to all of these medical reasons i have had to drop out of college for the year. On top of all of my medical bills i have acquired now i have to worry about how im going to pay back the money i was loaned for college. Any donation will help and also be greatly appreciated.
  • Keith Rang
    • $100 
    • 96 mos
  • Michael Raymond
    • $20 
    • 98 mos
  • Ethan & Alissa
    • $25 
    • 98 mos
  • Zach njos
    • $400 
    • 98 mos
  • Gail Kuta
    • $500 
    • 98 mos
See all


Ethan Lane
Davis, IL

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.