gateway dgc expansion
Increased efficiency, expanded capacity, maximum community impact
Funkytown Flyers Disc Golf is pleased to submit this proposal for services, to further develop and expand the disc golf course at Gateway Park.
· Modify the existing Gateway disc golf course to include 36 holes, double its original capacity.
· Offer an increased variety of skill based challenges to appeal to a broader range of players.
· Increase the capacity of Fort Worth’s most centrally located course, in efforts to accommodate the rapidly increasing demand.
· The existing facility was not designed around sustainability, thus creating unique challenges for our volunteer staff to overcome.
· The existing facility does not take advantage of the potential positive impact disc golf provides. Pedestrian presence is essential in the successful abatement of less than desirable park users and the activities that frequently accompany their presence.
· The existing facility fails to provide players of all skill levels an opportunity to enjoy the city’s most innovative and inclusive park development to date.
· An innovative “overlay” design concept, which facilitates three 18-hole disc golf courses in the footprint of one.
· A practical modification to the existing design will enable the foot traffic required to limit maintenance demands and increase a more visible park user presence.
· An all-inclusive design strategy that will appeal to beginners and professionals alike.
Funkytown Flyers Disc Golf was founded in 2006. Our collaboration of local players and advocates focused their resources in hopes of supporting and developing the rapidly emerging disc golf community in DFW. Course development has always been a priority and the time has come to increase our opportunities to play.
The Professional Disc Golf Association has experienced an explosion in active membership in the past 18 months.
Sanctioned events are filling faster and further in advance. On the recreational level, course congestion is at an all-time high. Course volunteers are overwhelmed with litter abatement, and waste removal. Additional courses will ease congestion and help disperse the volunteer demand. Naturally, new courses commonly generate new volunteers.
Our vision was perpetuated by a frustrating construction project, that required the temporary removal of the front 9 holes of our slowly developing disc golf course. Gateway DGC is a large and challenging gold level course. Cutting it in half seemed like a challenge at first, but the ample space at Gateway was to our advantage. 18 holes in the space of 9. Before the overlay, the disc golf course averaged 5-10 players per day. Today, it averages over 100 park users daily. The shorter, more technical design was a tremendous success and is one of the most active courses in the area.
Soon, the construction project is to be complete. We can not ignore the overwhelmingly positive feedback the community has provided about the overlay. We were confronted with a decision. Do we restore a truly great course that appeals to a minority of highly skilled players? Do we forsake this great design and thousands of man hours, and give the people what they want? We do neither. We adapt.
We have the space and the ability to overlay an additional 9 holes on the front side of the course. The process is relatively simple. First, we restore the front 9 holes when construction is complete. Next, we overlay 9 holes on the front half, to accompany the current overlay on the back half. Partner that with the existing original gold level design and you have 3 courses in one facility. Three different offerings for all skill levels and abilities. The frontside overlay would utilize an intermediate/advanced level design strategy to accompany the more recreational backside overlay.
This is how you can be involved: This project will be 100% community funded. The funds needed will be 100% crowd sourced. The blood, sweat, and tears upon installation will be shed by the disc golf community. This is an expectation that we must honor with the city. This is the disc golf way. Fortunately, we have recently acquired the Gateway Park adopt a park agreement and are enabled to take on such an endeavor as this. We are unable to do so without our community and their financial support.
We have recently been given the opportunity to purchase the retired ADGA baskets from Veterans Park in Arlington. These baskets will offer us an affordable opportunity to achieve our goals, quickly. Our long-term goal is to keep these baskets moving and growing new courses. We will soon elaborate on a new partnership with the city, that should enable our development goals. Stay tuned!
Partnered with this document is an estimate for the projected installation cost. You will also find a sponsorship document that outlines payment instructions and what you should expect in return for the various levels of contribution. Long story short, for $5,000 this vision becomes a reality.
For a small investment, we can have a tremendously positive impact on our community. Without you, our supporter, we are nothing. As we reflect on 12 years of good times, great people and countless memories, we are confident that we have established the necessary relationships in Fort Worth to help us achieve this ambitious goal. Thank you for your attention and consideration.
Funkytown Flyers Disc Golf