Want to join us in making a difference and sending a strong message to the world that Black boys in Minnesota actually do matter?
Minnesota is considered one of the best places in the country to raise and educate your children...if you are white. However, for decades, Minnesota has held the dubious distinction of being one of the worst places for Black children, leading the nation in educational opportunity gaps and outcomes, especially for boys. Now is the time and this is a tangible opportunity to change the narrative for the next generation of Black boys and men about the value of their lives and brilliance they offer the world.
IMPACT LIVING Christian Center is raising money to help start Morning Glory Montessori (MGM), an all-boys, Afrocentric, Christian, Montessori school for 3 year olds - 3rd graders. Under the leadership of Founder/Head of School, Pastor Jessica Jackson J.D., a certified AMI Primary Teacher, MGM had planned to open in fall 2020, but due to COVID-19 will now open in 2021. Located in the Seward neighborhood of South Minneapolis, just a few miles from where George Floyd was murdered, MGM will be a beacon of hope and serve as an innovative educational model of how to tear down the systemic issues that choke the life out of learning and growing for Black boys and men in Minnesota.
MGM mission is to be a safe, beautiful, nurturing environment of excellence that affirms, inspires, and supports Black boys to become who God designed them to be. Our vision is grounded in an understanding that healing our community and changing the world begins with the child. As Frederick Douglass wisely said, "It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."
Donations will help cover MCM's budget for the following immediate expenses and ensure long-term sustainability of the school:
- Concept plan and architectural renderings for facility renovations
- Renovations to the areas of the debt-free facility dedicated to the school
- Necessary security (e.g., doors, windows, security system)
- Montessori training and professional development for teachers and assistants
- Montessori classroom materials and other start-up expenses
- Community education/enrichment programs (e.g., Walker West Music Academy, artists, elders/grandparent reading,
- Outdoor classroom space, garden and fence
- Community awareness, advertising, and recruitment efforts through our ongoing "Blacks, Believers and the Montessori Way" campaign
- Establishment of a Black Boys Matter Educational Scholarship Fund for families and staff in need tuition assistance
- Establish a MGM endowment for future school expansion and long-term viability
All donations are tax-deductible. Every type and size of donation helps. One-time, recurring/monthly partners, corporate and in-kind contributions are all appreciated. Thanks in advance for your contribution on behalf of the children and families who are waiting for this unique educational option to be birthed. Morning Glory Montessori will be the first of its kind in the country and the first African-American focused Montessori Partners Serving All Children (MPSAC) school in collaboration with the Montessori Center of MN (www.montessoricentermn.org)
We are also actively recruiting African-Americans, especially males, to work with MGM. Montessori training scholarships are available. Spread the Word!
More information about IMPACT LIVING Christian Center:
IMPACT LIVING Christian Center(ILCC) is a people movement and family oriented community of believers who share a common faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and a commitment to their own as well as other's spiritual growth and development. Our mission is "God's Word impacts us and we impact the world." We seek to educate, empower, and encourage people to live victoriously by practically applying the Word each day. We are focused to serve God, one another and the community as problem solvers and institution builders. Morning Glory Montessori will be housed in ILCC's current facility, which was purchased in 2012 and paid off within three years. (www.impactlivingcc.org)
- April Zoll Close
- Betsy Symanietz
- Echinacea Montessori School