Please help these Cancer Crusaders
Forty-five minutes from my house there our children fighting for their lives against cancer. Treatment at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) Oncology Unit must be severe enough to give these children a chance to fight off this terrible diseaese. Unfortunately, one side effect is that the treatments can ruin healthy cells along with the bad. This leaves these kids without a functioning immune system, lingering in hospitals for weeks and even months, with little to distract them from their daily fight. The treatments the children have to go through are beyond tough. Yet everyday they fight for their lives and undergo medical interventions that test them physically, mentally, and emotionally.
CHOP runs a great program called Child Life. They were one of the first programs in the county to recognize the benefits and therapeutic value of play for hosptialized children. Their job is to provide new games, toys, and support to the kids to help bring a little joy to their long days at the hospital. The most requested items are video games and game consoles. Unfortunately, given the kids’ susceptibility to illness, the systems and games must be new, and therefore these are in short supply.
My name is Jonathan Weinstein and I would like to help these children. With CHOP’s support (please see letter below), I have started a campaign called Game Break for CHOP Oncology Unit. My goal for this campaign is to provide these suffering kids at CHOP with new video game systems and games. I will be donating a percentage of the gifts that I receive for my Bar Mitzvah to this cause and I was hoping you will join me in helping bring a little bit of joy to the children on the oncology floor at CHOP by either a monetary donation or by donating from the items I have listed below. Child Life gave me their Wish List and I have posted it below.
• Crayola® Art Supplies
• Play-doh®* & Model Magic®*
• Games: Board Games, Original Uno*, • Movies*: New releases, Disney & Pixar favorites
• Electronics headphones, phone chargers, wireless speakers, instant film camera
• Video Games for: Playstation 3, X Box 360 & X Box One
• Art Supplies: Blank canvases, high quality paint brush sets, glitter glue, beading kits, objects to paint
• Toddler items: Board books, Fisher Price toys, Little People* play sets, plastic play food/kitchen, plastic animals and dinosaurs
• School age items: Lego Kits*, Character toy’s, Marvel superhero action figures, Tonka, plastic baby dolls, play toolkits, Matchbox cars, children’s books*
• Teen items: Nail polish, make-up kits, scrapbooking books and paper, sports memorabilia, adult coloring books, large lego kits, DIY kits
Thank you to all who donate, together we can help these brave children.
DonationsSee top donations
- Rob, Kelly and Xander Brock
- Julie and Henry Karcsh
- Sid & Carol Cohen
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more