In Uganda, less than half of the girls (48%) complete elementary school. Only 55% of the boys complete elementary school. In West Nile sub-region 11.5% of boys and 7.6% of girls attend secondary school.
Many students complete elementary and secondary school without having mastered required levels of literacy and numeracy. However, girls are particularly affected by poor performance. Girls are much more likely to repeat grades than boys. Girls’ performance in national examinations at elementary and secondary school levels has remained lower compared to that of boys.
Furthermore, for women between the ages of 15-49 only 2.1% have had some education beyond secondary school whereas for men of the same age group 6.6 % have had some education beyond secondary school.
Why do students drop out of school?
· Lack of money is the major cause for both boys and girls.
· Additional factors for girls: marriage and pregnancy.
· Additional factor for boys: Lack of interest in or indifference to education.
In order to address the problems above it is important to:
· Get kids to go to school, particularly high school.
· Keep them in school and stop them from dropping out.
· Help them perform well in school.
· Help them graduate from high school, especially girls.
Nile Care is a US based nonprofit organization which was founded in 2007 and registered as a Public Charity 501 (c) 3 organization. The goal of Nile Care is to promote the social and economic development of people from West Nile sub-region of Uganda.
Nile Care is working with local organizations to provide:
· Educational materials and tutoring for 6th and 7th grade students.
· Motivational prizes to students and teachers for performance in grades 5-6.
· Merit scholarships for secondary school education for the best performing girls in two elementary schools.
Since 2012 we have raised $8,000 for 8 scholarships for girls; $2,000 for scholastic materials and tutoring for 5-6th grade; and initiated tutoring for 143 students in 6th grade in 2 pilot areas.
We now need an additional $4,000 for the next class of scholars to transition to high school.
How can you help?
Please help us by sponsoring four secondary school scholarships for girls in West Nile region of Uganda.
Tuition fees per student for 4 years in high school is on average $1,000.
Every dollar that you donate counts!
For more information about Nile Care visit www.nilecareinc.org.