My family and I moved here to Morehead City, North Carolina, a year ago as we have always loved the area and wanted to live and retire here. We remodeled our single wide trailer by painting, installing new shower doors, new flooring, and new duct work to our home and we loved it. On October 12, 2017, while I was at work I received a emergency phone call from my neighbor telling me my home was on fire. I immediately left my job, head pounding and finding it difficult to breathe as I recalled all that we had spent on our trailer and how broke we were as funds were very limited.
My 16 year old son had started the pot of grease to heat to make himself some fries and set the timer as if he were going to use the deep frier. His dad called him outside to help him with a project he was working on. After he finished helping his dad, he forgot he had started the grease and went to play with his cousin who lives next door. Needless to say our home was destroyed within minutes of the fire starting. He did not mean for this to happen and he feels badly about it.
Our home insurane expired June 2017, as it cost $735.00 a year but they would only insure our home for $10,000. So I did not pay the premium.
Our kitchen, all our applicanes, curtains, furniture, linen, and clothes were smoked damaged and our home was destroyed. We have managed to save some funiture and clothes, as well as glassware and glass plates.
Currently we have applied for a loan to replace our home and need $1500.00 to make up the difference of the downpayment. Any donations will be greatly appreciated.
DonationsSee top donations
- Sidney McVicker
- Dr. J Wms
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more