This Giving Tuesday, please consider donating to the Freedom’s Run GoFundMe. It has been a difficult year for so many, but we are grateful for the opportunities that we have been able to share with the community. We held a successful virtual race in May for the Harpers Ferry Half Marathon, with almost 300 participants getting out and staying active. We were even able to hold two youth and adult summer camps in person!
Our mission is to keep our community healthy especially during these times, but we need your help. Donating to our page will ensure we keep providing these programs for the public, and create more programming and funding we can then share with other worthwhile organizations.
As a thank you, if you donate $50, we will send you a custom Freedom’s Run Buff! After you donate, just be sure to leave a message with your mailing address, and we’ll be sure to get you the custom Buff!
C&O Canal Classrooms Education Program
West Virginia is often viewed as an unhealthy place to live. Much of this opinion, unfortunately, comes from real data. West Virginia is #1 when it comes to obesity and diabetes (CDC 2016) and #50 when it comes to trails. With an idea to change our state’s image and reverse these statistics, Freedom's Run was born.
Freedom’s Run was developed with the intent of putting on an event that gives citizens awareness of healthy living, promotes outdoor activity, and highlights the rich history of the area - an Event for Health and Heritage. A collaborative group between leads at the Eastern Area Health Education Center, WVU Health Sciences Center - Eastern Division, University Healthcare, the National Park Service, Shepherd University, local citizens and businesses, and Canal Towns Partnership, teamed to create Freedom's Run. Offering 5 events for all ages and atheletic abilities - 1 mile kids fun run, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, and Marathon.
Since 2009, Freedom’s Run, through the guidance of Eastern Area Health Education Center, has given over $230, 000 directly back to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia as well as neighboring communities. We have assisted with matching grants to bring the total well above $350,000. But with your help we can fund even more projects.
Page Jackson Elementary School Trail
Some of the projects that have been funded through Freedom's Run Community Grant Funds include:
- Eastern Panhandle Indigo Children's Blue Ribbon Recreation Program
- For love of Children's Leaders in Action Program
- Antietam Battlefield's Civil War Day Camp
- James Hite Park Fitness Trail
- North Martinsburg Middle School Trail
- SNAP Double Value Coupon Farm Market Program (in progress)
- T.A. Lowery Elementary School Green House Project
- Potomack Intermediate School Trail
- Tuscarora Elementary School Trail
- Ranson Elementary School Trail
- Driswood Elemntary School Trail
- Canal Towns Partnership
- South Jefferson Elementary School Outdoor Classroom & Trail
- Page Jackson Elementary School Trail
- C&O Canal Classrooms Education Program
- C.W. Shipley Elementary School Fitness Trail
- Shepherdstown Cullison Fitness Park
-Cacapon Institute Tree Giving
-City of Charles Town trail plan
-Romney Fitness Trail
Summer Camp Projects at For Love of Children
Eastern Panhandle Indigo Children's
Blue Ribbon Recreation Program
North Martinsburg Middle School Trail, creative use of green paint
Some other donations that we have made through Freedom's Run Community Funds include:
- Shepherdstown Fire & EMS
- Washington's Way Heritage Alliance
- Jefferson County Deputy Sheriff's Association
- RRCA's Kids Run the Nation
- Mended Little Hearts of the Shenandoah Valley
- Shepherdstown Elementary School
- Girls on the Run of the Shenandoah Valley
- Jefferson Art Council's Art in the Park
- Hedgesville High School Boosters & Track
- Elkins Middle School Field Trip to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- Antietam National Battlefield's Civil War Day Camp
With your support we can expand these projects to even more deserving communities, and reverse some of the effects of living in a statistically unhealthy environment.
For more information on Freedom's Run or to register please visit FreedomsRun.org.