Fire of Residential Home – All items lost!
Yesterday, during a yearly fumigation exercise for our residential house (the house that keeps 45 of our vulnerable sponsored kids, mainly orphans), the shipping container into which we had moved our beds, mattresses, and all clothes for the kids suddenly caught fire. Everyone is safe and there were no injuries. However, everything was fully burnt leaving us completely devastated and with a big hole in our lives.
Last night, our kids came to the realization that they have lost everything that they’ve ever owned, almost all of which we’ve taken years to provide piece by piece – all their shirts, all their school belongings, all their backpacks and all their trousers. Even their shoes. Last night everyone slept on the concrete floor because all of our beds were burnt to cinders and everyone slept with the clothes on their backs because that was all that was left – nothing to change into.
Malawi is always two steps forward, one step back. And today we realize this all too clearly. In a system that doesn’t have insurance or access to credit, families are always one disaster away from ruin, or in our case, a charity trying to give rural Malawian kids a chance.
If you have it in your heart, and you can help us in this disaster time and on what is such a celebratory weekend, any bit would be appreciated. We lost 45 beds with the bed and mattress costing $100. We lost all of the kid’s blankets, with a full set of sheets, comforter and pillow costing about $60 here. We’ve lost an entire wardrobe for each of our kids; you can imagine the school uniforms, shoes, casual and dress shirts for Sunday church, soccer shorts, jeans, and the like. 45 entire lives that each fit in a simple suitcase - kids that have so little and now have nothing.
All-in-all, we’ve suffered over $15,000 in losses. If you have anything extra at this time, please help us. All donations are tax-deductible.