Understanding how plastics accumulate in the ocean and what they are doing to marine wildlife is critical for protecting ocean ecosystems. I have a chance to participate in a voyage to do just that - but I need your help to get there!
Did you know that 8 million tonnes of plastic waste find their way into the ocean each year? It's mind-blowing. From plastic bags and straws to massive fishing nets and packing materials, only 9% of this plastic ever gets recycled. The rests ends up in landfills or waterways where it flows to the ocean and breaks down into toxic microplastics.
Running these research expeditions is expensive, and eXXpedition crew members like myself are expected to help pay for part of the cost of joining each mission. Money goes toward sustaining the crew while we are onboard, as well as for costs associated with processing the samples of plastic we collect and producing related outreach materials. I'm hoping to find local business and individual sponsors interested in my mission and who would love to hear about the experience during and after.
**All donors receive recognition on my eXXpedition bio page and my personal website and social media outlets.**
Donate $5 and receive a postcard from my voyage!
Donate $25 and I'll send you a postcard plus a slideshow describing our voyage and its outcomes
Donate $75 and you'll receive the above plus your own personal plastic-free starter kit (straw, mug, cutlery)
Donate $125 and you'll receive the above plus a printed, autographed photo from the voyage with a personal message
Donate $500 and you'll receive the above plus I'll give an in-person or live video presentation to your business/community/group of your choice about the voyage and what we accomplished (or write a personalized blog for your community/business if you prefer).
Donate $1000 or more and you'll receive my unending gratitude, all of the above, plus personal acknowledgement/shoutout in videos and blogs I produce on the voyage, a 'donor badge' for your website, and a special exclusive souvenir from the ship!
Find out more about eXXpedition (get it? Two X chromosomes!) below.
eXXpedition , the Community Interest Company behind Round the World 2019-2021, specialises in all-women sailing trips with a focus on highlighting the devastating impact single-use plastic and toxics from land-based activities are having on our planet’s oceans, ecosystems and on human health. Previous research carried out by eXXpedition has highlighted the endemic nature of microplastics within our ocean environments globally and the increasing potential impact they have on human health. eXXpedition was founded in 2014 by ocean advocate Emily Penn and Dr Lucy Gilliam to make the unseen seen, from the toxics in our bodies to the toxics in our seas. eXXpedition became a Community Interest Company in 2017. You can read more information about our team here: www.exxpedition.com/team
eXXpedition Round The World will take place on the 70ft steel hulled ‘Yacht Discovery’, owned and operated by Discovery Expeditions. You can find out more about Discovery here: https://yachtdiscovery.co.uk/boat/
AIMS OF EXXPEDITION
● To collect scientific samples to feed into large-scale studies
● To explore the scale of plastic pollution and the available solutions
● To facilitate collaboration opportunities between the diverse crew of women – artists, scientists, filmmakers, sustainability professionals, businesswomen, sailors and so much more
● To empower the all-female crew to become more effective ocean ambassadors
● To carry out outreach events, where possible, to engage local communities and generate press coverage
AIMS OF EXXPEDITION ROUND THE WORLD
● Support solutions-based science by contributing to world class scientific studies that are urgently needed to inform up-stream solutions and close the loop on plastic waste on land
● Challenge perceptions by using our platform to inform and educate so that people can better understand the real problem of micro-plastics and use that to shape actions and solutions
● Create a community of change-makers and inspiring global ambassadors to tackle plastic pollution back on dry land. During their ocean experience participants discover the power of their individual roles in addressing the issues. Empowered by their first hand experience at sea we provide the tools, confidence and support they need to become effective leaders that can influence meaningful impact through their personal and professional communities.
SCIENCE ON BOARD
For our Round the World voyages, eXXpedition will work in partnership with internationally-recognised ocean plastic experts to carry out plastics-related citizen science, both at sea and on shore. Professor Richard Thompson and his team of scientists at the University of Plymouth will be taking the lead on our sea-based science programme, while the collaboration with Dr Jenna Jambeck and the University of Georgia will be focused on land impacts. The impacts on local communities will be measured using a Circularity Assessment Protocol, developed at the University of Georgia, which looks at everything from waste washed up on coastlines to plastics in community shops.
DonationsSee top donations
- Beth Skidmore
- Benjamin Hoffman
- Kara Weimer
- Jeff Hippler
- Erin Livingston
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more