Do you or someone you know suffer from debilitating bouts of panic or anxiety? Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with depression or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)? Do you or someone you know struggle with addiction – to alcohol, nicotine, sugar, or one of the opioids?
Chances are good that your answer to one or more of these questions will be “yes” – because both mental illness and addictions are currently at epidemic levels. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness :
* Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. -- 43.8 million, or 18.5% -- experiences mental illness in a given year.
* 18.1% of adults in the U.S. experienced an anxiety disorder such as posttraumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and specific phobias.
If you or a loved one has struggled with one of these mental-emotional challenges, you’ve probably tried a variety of strategies and techniques for transforming the situation. Perhaps psychotherapy has been one of these – and this may have provided some relief. But it also may have been less than fully effective; and perhaps left you feeling a bit frustrated or disappointed in the process.
The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Now what if you could greatly enhance your ability to transform these mental-emotional imbalances within yourself; and effectively support others – friends, family members, students and clients – in doing the same? What if there were simple, precise, user-friendly techniques to help you dissolve the suffering associated with these conditions?
Freedom Within & Beyond Psychotherapy
Our new book -- "End Of Story: Moving Beyond Dead-End Psychotherapy" -- will offer exactly this: simple, powerful mindfulness-based tools to replace or radically enhance other approaches you may already have tried in order to dissolve the suffering associated with OCD, panic, anxiety and other emotional challenges.
These easy-to-learn, evidence-based techniques can be applied both within and outside of formal psychotherapeutic contexts. They are rooted, simultaneously, in western science and eastern wisdom traditions – and offer exciting possibilities for growth, healing and personal transformation at the intersection of psychotherapy and spirituality.
The authors of End Of Story: Moving Beyond the Dead-Ends of Psychotherapy include:
Shinzen Young. An American mindfulness teacher and neuroscience research consultant, Shinzen is appreciated for his evidence-based approach to mindfulness and meditation (known as Unified Mindfulness ) which has sparked potent collaborations with a number of research scientists -- at Harvard Medical School, Carnegie-Mellon University and the University of Vermont -- in the bourgeoning field of contemplative neuroscience.
Shelly Young, MA, LPCC, LADAC. A psychotherapist and addictions counselor with 18 years of clinical experience, Shelly is a longtime student of Shinzen Young, and has developed a uniquely powerful protocol for applying Unified Mindfulness techniques to her practice of psychotherapy – which yields excellent and often dramatic results in short periods of time. Visit Shelly's website www.PresentSolutions4u.com (then scroll down on the main page) to view inspiring video testimonials of her work with clients.
The Secret Sauce
In the following video, Shinzen and Shelly discuss how the systematic training of attention skills -- in particular, concentration, clarity and equaniminiy -- is the "secret sauce" that makes a therapeutic intervention uniquely powerful:
Who Will Benefit?
In End Of Story, Shinzen and Shelly collaborate with a team of skilled professional writers (led by Elizabeth Reninger ) to present a theoretical overview, case studies and step-by-step instructions for applying these transformational protocols. This new book will be of interest to:
* Counselors looking for powerful tools to enhance the effectiveness of their work with clients – particularly those presenting with anxiety, panic or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
* People who can answer "yes" to the question: "Has your experience with traditional psychotherapy felt incomplete or disappointing?"
* Psychotherapists and other healthcare professionals who –- when using traditional methods such as EMDR or cognitive behavioral therapy to treat anxiety, panic or OCD -- feel they’ve come to an impasse with certain clients, and are searching for new ways to move forward.
* Anyone looking for effective self-help methods to resolve the suffering associated with anxiety, panic, or OCD.
* Professionals who work with people in crisis or emergency situations.
* Educators seeking to enhance their classroom environment with innovative personal-growth exercises.
* Those who provide pastoral care, and wish to add some potent and user-friendly techniques to their emotional-wellness toolbox.
* Yoga and meditation instructors excited about offering their students powerful tools for mental-emotional transformation and liberation from unnecessary suffering.
* Anyone who could benefit from learning innovative and evidence-based stress-reduction methods.
Our Budget & Timeline
Our budget will support the organization, writing, editing, advertising, marketing and other publication-related expenses that are needed to bring End Of Story into its finished form, and make it available to all those who can benefit from these profoundly transformational techniques. Our intention is to have a completed manuscript by July of 2018 .
Support The Project
If you feel inspired to support this project, we welcome and are deeply grateful for your contributions. Thank you kindly for your generosity!
*Note: Those who make a donation of $500 or more will receive a special mention (by name or anonymously) on our “Thank You To Our Sponsors” page in the book itself.
DonationsSee top donations
- Evelyne Yannacito
- Christine Trani
- Lex van Heel
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more