Empower Indigenous Kichwa Midwives of the Andes
We are creating a Traditional Andean Midwife Center for a well-established network of indigenous Kichwa midwives to attend patients, provide education, and train both local and international midwives. This is a first-of-its-kind center in the urban center of Cotacachi, Ecuador that will support both rural and urban populations.
This Center supports the preservation of indigenous oral culture and traditional medicine practices, which are threatened to be lost or devalued because of urbanization and migration. The Center will provide quality reproductive healthcare and enrich culturally relevant medical services that bridges socio-cultural boundaries, socioeconomic status, and educational gaps. The services provided include family planning, initial phases of pregnancy, post-partum, and a plethora of traditional medicine methods to ensure the well-being and a healthy baby, mother, and family.
Our goal of $10,000 will support one-time investments as well as ongoing sponsorships for low-income patients and ongoing training
- $10 will purchase supplies needed for 1 consultation.
- $25 will cover one healthcare service for 1 woman and her baby.
- $50 will provide transportation for 12+ healthcare providers (midwives) for one week
- $100 will provide healthcare consultations for 5 women
- $500 will provide a monthly stipend for 12+ midwives
- $1,200 will provide full healthcare for one woman’s pregnancy term
- $2,000 will furnish one clinic examination room with traditional and modern medical equipment, bed, linens, and sterilizers.
Wichana Foundation is a small 501 (c) -3 charitable foundation that raises money for community-based projects in Ecuador that benefit the health, education, and culture of community members. The local partner coordinating this project is K’allam’p - an indigenous-led grassroots organization working to educate and empower rural indigenous communities on sustainable farming techniques, nutrition and other public health issues
DonationsSee top donations
Donations are typically 100% tax deductible in the US.