Elvira's medical

Saturday, June 3, 2017 around 8pm, John and I were driving to a fairwell party for one of his friends. We had to head back home because I forgot something in my car that I needed. We finally get back on the road to where we needed to go and I saw something laying in the middle of the road. The tail was stil moving, but I wasn't sure if it was the wind moving the tail or the animal moving it's tail. I told John that I hope it was just the wind and the poor thing wasn't alive. In my mind, I'm going back and forth of needing to check, but scared of what the poor thing looked like. I said to John that if we don't go back, I can't live with myself not knowing if it's dead or alive. So John turns the car around and we head back to see what it going on. We found it, pull over and John gets out of the car, it was a black long haired kitty. He said, it's breathing! I said, bring her to me. So he gave her to me and got a sweatshirt out of the car to put under her. At the time she looked like she was bleeding on her side and mouth, Her breathing was very heavy. We call the closest ER Vet and let them know we are coming with this kitten. We get there, longest 15 mins ever! They take her in the back right away. If she wasn't breathing you'd think she was dead because she didn't move. We got in to see a Dr and since there is no funds, the financial responsibility is going to be on us if we decided to save her. I told them to assess her and then let us know what is going on. After waiting about an hour, the Dr came back and said that she was bleeding from the mouth because her bottom lip was torn, she's very disoriented and that she will need x-ray's because her back right leg, she doesn't want to move it. So we decided to go ahead with it all and she gave us an estimated cost of what it would be for the next 24 hours. The estimated cost at the time was $700 to $1,200. We couldn't give up on her because she's so young, she deserves a fighting chance. So we left the hosipital and went home. I called a couple hours later and they mentioned she has brain trauma (swelling in the brain), her pupils have dilated which is a good thing, but the Dr was more leaning towards she has neurological issues because of the brain swelling. Along with the brain swelling, her femur is broken. I'm not sure how much surgery would be to fix it, but I was told cage  rest of 4 to 6 weeks. The next day I called and they said there was some improvement, but not a ton and this is going to take time. I told them that we can't afford to keep her here, it's just too much. Then they stressed on how important it is because of the swelling in her brain. So I talked to someone from a rescue and she gave me a name of a Dr in another county, that is willing to help on a Sunday. I called him and he said to come on out. I called the ER Vet and told them I'm coming to get her to transfer to another facility. By the time we got there, they had her ready with all info we needed for the other Vet. We met up with him and he examined her, we gave him all the info from the ER and he said he's willing to help. Elvira would stay with him for the next couple days and we can come and see her whenever we wanted or call anytime to check on her. So we left his facility in good hopes because he is very hopeful she can be saved. She's young and she can bounce back quicker compared to an older cat.
So I'm asking for help in medical bills. I'm not sure what is going to happen, if I'm going to keep her or find her a rescue, but no other rescue has offered to help raise funds for this situation. So I'm asking for help with Elvira so the financial burden is lessened on her medical bills. The ER Vet cost was $954.00 of which I had to use Care Credit for. I'm leaving the remaining for the other Dr that has taken her in Sunday for me. I'm not sure if I'll need it all, but I rather shoot a little high just in case. If it's not all used, I'll put it towards her spaying and shots as well. So, if you can donate, it's greatly appreciated, I didn't anticipate this and I believe she came in our lives for a reason.
Also if there is more money leftover, I want to donate it to Placing Paws, the rescue where I adopted Marley, In Memory of Marley.

Donations ()

  • Cathy Murphy 
    • $10 
    • 32 mos
  • Barb Madden 
    • $25 
    • 33 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $10 
    • 33 mos
  • Cheryl T 
    • $25 (Offline)
    • 33 mos
  • Bill Saponaro 
    • $20 
    • 33 mos
See all

Organizer

Jenn Rosa 
Organizer
Waukegan, IL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more