Dear friends and family,
Capital Turkish Connection http://www.capitaltc.org/, a 501C not-for-profit organization registered in Washington, DC., is starting a new initiative to provide support to the victims of the earthquake that struck Turkiye on February 6th, 2023.
The goal of the initiative is to create new opportunities supporting NGOs, International Organizations, and government efforts that are already on the ground, as well as new avenues that don’t overlap with existing aid.
Our first stage of involvement partnered with Cadena https://cadena.ngo/en/mexico-2/ and helped to coordinate close to 100 volunteers in Turkiye to join rescue and relief efforts in the earthquake-affected areas. The Cadena rescue team operated in Turkiye for 5 days with volunteers in Hatay and Maras in search and rescue efforts.
2 days following the earthquake, CTC received a generous anchor donation of $100K and we are hoping to extend our impact beyond supporting current search and rescue teams.
To create unique, longer-term relief projects and support selected initiatives in the field, we decided to mobilize the CTC network, more than 180 experts who worked on the previous initiative of CTC, “92 Proposals for a Better Turkey”. These are dedicated and well-connected ex-patriots and Turkish residents, each an expert in their own field.
We will be focusing on several high-priority projects;
- organizing large-scale post-traumatic therapy support for children who lost their parents in the earthquake,
- establishing educational scholarships in Turkiye, as well as in US and UK,
- disaster preparedness (with a focus on a potential Istanbul earthquake),
- reconstruction of smart cities,
- development of apps and other tech platforms to facilitate the flow of emergency information, coordinate disaster relief and donations,
- employment and internship opportunities for youth via the CTC network,
- white papers on identifying disaster response strategies, leadership designation, information dissemination, and common good goals for ex-patriots living in small local communities abroad.
To extend the impact of our initiative, we invite a smaller group of friends and family to join us with donations and project suggestions.
As with our previous initiatives, CTC is committed to full transparency and complete documentation of all of the expenses, along with regular impact reports.
Join us if you can, send positive energy and hope, regardless.
On Behalf of CTC Board and Ambassadors
Dr. Ferhan Salman, Chair and Founder of CTC