Doug has recently recovered from cancer in the liver but requires a liver transplant. He is a candidate for transplant and hopes this time will come soon. Liver transplants are common procedures in Canada and this will help Douglas to live (and love) for years to come.
He feels he is lucky to be in a country with single-payer healthcare, so direct medical costs are covered. However, the indirect costs of transplants add up quickly. Both Doug and his partner are required to be off of work for more than three – six months and a minimum of 3 of those months he must also live in Edmonton, close to the surgeons. This GoFundMe is to help Douglas with the costs that will come up during his recovery and help his family through this experience.
Who is Doug?
He lives in Calgary, Alberta (Canada) with his partner and their dog, Lucas. Doug works as a counselor at a large homeless shelter for the past 12 years. Before this he championed the first Canadian wide distributed LGBTQ newspaper. Doug is a natural advocate for people. This GoFundMe honours Doug’s years of supporting others, by advocating for him.
Why is Your Help Needed?
· Doug has lived with liver disease for years. More recently, this has meant he has had to take additional time away from work for treatments. This means Doug will have fewer resources to draw on when the time for transplant comes.
· Doug doesn’t have a lot of people in his life who can offer financial support, so any bit you can help with will make the difference!
Why Doug’s Story is Worth Supporting
• Doug overcame adversity from a young age. Born on a military base to a military family, Doug had a different childhood than most Canadians.
• Doug chose to leave home at age 12 and remained homeless until age 21. During this time, he grew up quickly to survive. Against the odds, Doug connected with and grew into himself. Doug used the adversity he encountered to clarify what he values and chose to build a life on it.
• He began caring for others while surviving as a homeless youth, and continues to care for others in his work as a counselor 30 years later. He lives a life in recovery and much of his work is based on those experiences. Recovery is a life long process.
• Continues to advocates for people daily. Doug has worked as a counsellor at a shelter for people without homes for over a decade. He meets people where they are at, regardless of circumstances. Doug is an important connection for many people, including for some who have limited support.
• Doug inspires people in his life to connect to themselves and each other.
• He trusts that the universe provides for us because we are all connected parts of it. With this, Doug helps others to be open to the connections that bind us all.
• Doug challenges those around him to act and live the best life they are capable of. This is because Doug values and believes in people. Doug also takes action himself – he’s been sober and stable for a long time and now gives back to others daily.
• Doug has the potential for an extended healthy life with a liver transplant and is ready to take on this challenge.
About this GoFundMe:
· All donations go directly to Douglas McDougall (Calgary), who controls the account, which was created on his behalf by a supportive third party. The fund will be accessed only when the transplant is underway.
· Donations are used at Doug's and his family’s discretion to offset costs throughout recovery.
· If Doug dies, any funds contributed will go to his family, or estate. Any unneeded donations will be directed back to the programs that will support others to meet the extensive demands needed to be met - to become a transplant recipient. Of particular interest for Doug is the required addiction programs.
Thanks for your support! gofundme
- Adam Pratt
- Mike DeGirolamo
- Susan Berry
- Douglas & Anna Craig
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more