Aloha, I'm Tina. Owner of Sun Dot Marine Flags @fishflags
On August 8th, wildfires broke out across the island of Maui. Due to strong winds of up to 80mph from Hurricane Dora, these fires spread at unprecedented speeds.
The historic Lahaina town has been hit the hardest, with widespread damage to the harbor. At the time of this writing, there have been:
- 115 confirmed fatalities, as of August 25th, and still hundreds of people missing, including many children and kupuna (elderly)
- Dozens have been rescued out of the ocean near Lahaina fleeing the fires by US Coast Guard rescuers and volunteer fisherman
- 2000 + structures have been destroyed
- Numerous boats have been burned to ash
- Maui firefighters worked around the clock to contain active fires and many of them have lost their own homes.
The most catastrophic fire in the USA in the last 100 years.
Within hours, members of our local Lahaina Sun Dot Ohana have lost homes, fishing boats and cars to the flames with several friends and family missing and still unaccounted for. In the midst of all this, those that were able to save their boats have assisted the Coast Guard with rescue efforts. Bodies are still being recovered from the ocean.
Sundot will give 100% of the proceeds raised to these families for relief and as they begin the long road of rehabilitation. Serving the fishing community since 1964, our hearts break for everyone affected by these devastating fires.
Mahalo Nui Loa for your support.