Please donate to support the first kidlit book festival in Chicago that is focused on celebrating diverse voices!
After postponing DivBookFest from 2020 due to COVID, we are happy to say that the festival will be in the Fall of 2022!
NOTE: All donations are tax deductible through our NonProfit, Our Voice Alliance. Tax receipts will be sent via "Thank You" messages on this platform. For a more formal receipt, please email [email redacted].
We are planning a kidlit book festival that showcases diverse voices and celebrates their stories! We want to create an accessible and open space to celebrate stories written by authors from marginalized backgrounds who tell stories about underrepresented characters.
Our hope is that this event will allow readers from these marginalized groups see themselves in stories, and take pride in their identities, while also building greater empathy and understanding from their allies. Panel discussions will go beyond the basics of diversity in publishing and children's literature and show that we are not a monolith.
The first inaugural DivBookFest will be held in Chicago, IL - a vibrant and beautifully diverse city with an active literary community. This is a perfect place to bring people together from all backgrounds to celebrate and promote diversity and equity in children’s literature!
Bring together book lovers in a festival centered around celebrating diverse voices and marginalized experiences
- Help young people celebrate their diverse identities through stories and books
- Showcase books from marginalized voices*
- Illuminate authors from backgrounds historically underrepresented in publishing
- Open the conversation about diversity*
- Create a space to celebrate diversity*
- Bring authentic diverse stories to readers from marginalized backgrounds
*adopted from the DVPit definition of diversity: We recognize all diverse identities and experiences including (but not limited to): Native peoples and people of color; people living and/or born/raised in underrepresented cultures and countries; disabled persons (including neurodiverse); people on marginalized ends of the cultural and/or religious spectrum; people identifying within LGBTQIA+; and more.
(Note: while DivBookFest is supported by #dvpit it is not directly affiliated or run by dvpit)
Your support will help the festival:
- Spread the word about this event
- Cover travel expenses for panelists and volunteers^
- Account for venue/location costs
- Cover domain and website administrative costs
- Cover the cost of supplies
- Any overflow funding will go toward future festivals, prizes/swag for attendees, and extra programming such as sending authors out for school visits!
*We're partnering with Our Voice Alliance to make your charitable contribution tax deductible!*
^One of the things we've seen and learned is that lack of invitation is not the only barrier to diverse authors attending festivals. Another factor is lack of resources, accessibility, and funds. So one of our biggest goals is to fundraise enough to completely cover the travel expenses for all attending creators!
If you'd like to be a sponsor of the festival please reach out to us at [email redacted]
For more information: