Kidney Transplant For My Dad

My father needs a new kidney due to end stage renal disease. His kidney function is depleting, and is currently at 15%. He just got the news this morning that soon he may need to begin dialysis treatments prior to his transplant.  My brother Loren is ready to donate one of his kidneys to our father.  The new kidney will eliminate much of the many health issues accompanied by his (CKD) chronic kidney disease. My dad has dealt with a number of health issues over the past 17 years. He was diagnosed with Hepatitis C in 1994, that forced him to receive a liver transplant in 2001, followed by diabetes, first kidney transplant 2007, throat cancer 2014 (7 weeks radiation and chemo), and lung cancer 2015 (lobectomy).   When my dad received his last transplants, he was employed with health insurance. Unfortunately, after his kidney transplant, he was unable to work a full time job, and was forced to go on Social Security Disability and medicare.   We recently were notified from University of Michigan that Medicare only pays 80% of the transplant costs and without secondary insurance my father would be responsible for the remaining 20%. U of M urged us to seek a secondary insurance carrier ASAP, in addition to the medicare. This secondary insurance is extremely costly for my father who is on a fixed income, and just can't afford the premiums. Needless to say, this news made my heart sink, and I was extremely worried about him not being able to receive this transplant because of this insurance hurdle. That's when I decided to start this Go Fund Me Page. I really want to mention some of my dads major accomplishments in the last 17 years that make me love him even more than I already do. First, and in my opinion most important; he's now Hep C free, which has been one of the contributors to his current failing kidney. Hepatitis C killed his liver which forced him to receive his transplant in 2001. he is also cancer free, so he's one tough cookie!!!  My dad, who is very proud and independent has never once complained about any of his ailments, has never considered himself handicapped or has ever asked for help. Somehow he has managed to get through all of it with very little finances and positive attitude.   Because of his all of his triumphs and conquering all of these health issues, there's no way we would let this obstacle stop him from enjoying the great life he deserves. My father inspires myself, my brother, and sister to be the best we can be in life, and has shown us by example of how to overcome the curve balls that happen in life.  My dad is a great role model, and my hero. I can safely say my brother and sister hold him in the same regard that I do in our hearts. He has so much life left in him, especially at the age of 59.  I can’t imagine him not being with us. As my dad would say, “One day at a time, keep your chin up and everything is going to work out.”  I Love you Loren for being dads donor, none of this could be possible without you. I Love you both!!! 

Donations

 See top
  • Tom Ross 
    • $25 
    • 39 mos
  • Julie Rampersad 
    • $50 
    • 40 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 40 mos
  • Todd Yuhas 
    • $50 
    • 40 mos
  • Amanda George 
    • $50 
    • 41 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Evan Lacy 
Organizer
Utica, MI
Dan Lacy 
Beneficiary
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more