Here is the post from Dan on Facebook today, in case you didn't see it:
"We have been robbed for a third time since loosing our home as a result of the dam being opened in Harvey.. Now the scum broke into our storage unit over night and stole what we had left. The dumbass did though look nicely into the camera and also had the number plate of his black Honda Civic on display. Police have been notified and I share this low life’s mug shot here hoping the next time I see him is in a bright orange jump suit. I feel we are being targeted as they only stole from our unit."
In the old days, we would all live in the same community, so it would be very easy to help and to know exactly what they needed. Most of us do not live close, but probably want to help. Hearing the story today about the most recent robbery, about Virginia getting hit by an uninsured driver this week, and about the ordeals that continue to plague their recovery efforts, made me want to figure out a way to help them out. Here is what I came up with:
We have a very large generous family. If I could facilitate a way that we could all pitch in, like we would in the days of families living in the same community, together we could make an impact, and probably help relieve some of their stress at Christmas.
I want to send them some money, and while I cannot make a big impact on my own, together, we can do so.
Here is what I ask:
1. If you are able to give something, please do. Again, large or small, it will add up.
2. Please make the amount of your gift anonymous. This is not a role call, this is just an opportunity for those of us that haven't helped yet but would like to. (On the last page where you are able to leave a comment, there is a button to keep comment and donation private.)
3. Please don't tell Dan or Virginia.
4. Please don’t post this to social media. In respect to Dan and Virginia, I think we should keep this in our circle.
5. Finally, send notes of encouragement, as I am sure they would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading, and thank you for any support you can give this campaign. Merry Christmas
DonationsSee top donations
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more