Save Our Home

Hello, my name is Aubree. I'm an autistic 28 year old woman. My husband Brian and I have been married for nearly four years now. Our home has always had a place for animals in need. We decorate with tanks, terrariums and cages. The yard is maintained (rather patchily) by a couple of well meaning goats and we have far more roosters than we probably should but we just don't have the heart to get rid of them. Sadly, our little rescue, it seems, is in need of its own rescuing. After months of agonizing paperwork our mortgage company has decided not to give us the chance to have our loan adjusted because it would up our payment by $17 a month so we're left with the unenviable task of trying to find $2900 to bring us up to date or the house will go into foreclosure. We've been given 14 days with the option to pay out one month's payment to stall proceedings until January. Thus far we've managed $1000 but the remaining $1900 is still and unbearable mountain in our world.

I could recount to the penny, almost, how exactly we got here but really what it boils down to is a common thread. Brian left his decent  paying, stable, job in January of last year to attend school full time to get his math degree (minor in physics if anyone was curious). It wasn't an easy choice, and we knew we would take a hit but it was either that or leave him in a workplace that made his uncomfortable. So we took our chances. At the time I was not working because I didn't have to, but I immediately began looking for work. Unfortunately I didn't find it until some six months later. In the summer.

The student loan money ran up; in a disastrous and very confusing mess that involved the financial aid office not knowing their own policies for summer enrollment. And we were left with nothing to live on. I had to choose between keeping lights on and water running or paying for the house. I did what I could to keep my very fluffy, scaly, feathered, occasionally spiky family fed and cooled over the summer. My fridge has many times been empty but my heart never has. 

I had hoped that the mortgage company would work with us so we wouldn't have to scramble for money; particularly since the paperwork took well over two months, during which we were not allowed to make partial payments and continued to amass debt on our loan.

By the time we were stable enough to pay the mortgage regularly it was already too late. Both of us have jobs now and we make more than enough monthly to pay all of our bills but we can't clear the over head. Please consider helping us if you can. 

We can't afford to lose this house. We have no where to go. Brian is from

Texas and I'm from Colorado , we have no family living permanently in the area. Nor any far away with room for all of our creatures. 

I have done all that I can. We have done all that we can. So now we appeal to you, to keep our house, to let it continue on as a safe place for animals in need, to keep our family together. Anything helps. We're desperate and we're terrified. We have been for months in this uncertainty but even more so now with more money than we could ever hope to come up with looming over our heads.
  • Dave Michael 
    • $62 
    • 45 mos
  • Stephanie Leftwich 
    • $50 
    • 45 mos
  • Kevin Casey 
    • $150 
    • 45 mos
  • Addalee Carter 
    • $48 
    • 45 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 45 mos
See all


Brian McLendon 
Brantleyville, AL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more