Erica's Medical Bills

Thank you for supporting me! Here is my story:

I am a full-time business student at UTA, going into my senior year.  I am very involved on campus with Greek Life and have worked as a server at Pappadeaux for the past few years.  I'm from The Woodlands, Texas but have really made a nice life for myself up here in Arlington, as well.  I love my school, sorority, friends, and job, but all these commitments have often caused me to push myself too far and become overwhelmed from the stress of supporting myself through school, keeping up a social life, earning the grades I need in order to get into a good law school, etc.  This May, the all-nighters, caffeine, study aids, and stress all finally caught up with me and led to my life-changing heart attack.

May 26, 2014 - (This is a summary of what I have been told about the experience, I remember absolutely nothing) After pulling an all-nighter studying for my summer economics class and moving boxes into my new house all day, I went to a friend's house for a Memorial Day BBQ. While sitting on a bench, I suddenly collapsed to the ground and was unconscious.  My friends checked to see if I had a pulse and if I was breathing; Alex Teator then performed CPR on me while another friend called an ambulance.  What had occured during this time is called cardiac arrest.  The survival rate of people who receive initial emergency care by ambulance is only 2%, with 15% experiencing return of spontaneous circulation.  As soon as the ambulance arrived, the paramedics began defibrillation and rushed me to the hospital.  The CPR and defibrillation saved my life, although I did not gain consciousness.  The doctors induced a hypothermic coma in an effort to save any mental functions if possible, but they warned my friends and family that I might not make it or may wake up with brain damage.  After a week of my coma, I began to wake up and realize what was happening.  Once the doctors finally removed the tubes from my throat, I slowly began to say words like "Mom" and "I love you."  Upon full consciousness, I was already joking about the situation like my normal self in an effort to make my visiting friends and family feel a little relief.  They released me from the hospital and I have been recovering ever since.

I am extremely blessed to be alive today without brain damage.  Cardiologists have advised me to quit waiting tables, temporarily quit aerobic exercise, and permanently quit caffeine and all other stimulants.  The restrictions and sky-high medical bills that just keep coming may seem bad but I am lucky to have my life today.  I am hoping that I can find support through "GoFundMe" that will help tackle my medical bills.  The grand total was around $140,000 and counting but I received the "uninsured discount" and the bills are considerably more reasonable.  I truly appreciate any donation, prayer, suggestion, etc. through this hard time because I need as much support as I can get.  Thank you so much.

-Erica Hochmeister

Alex Teator, the friend who saved my life by performing CPR until the ambulance arrived!!  I'm forever grateful.

Goofing around with one of my best friends, Taylor Scott.

My mom found this shirt at Wal-Mart and we just had to.
  • Mindy Whitsitt 
    • $100 
    • 88 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $500 
    • 88 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $30 
    • 89 mos
  • Anthony Casillas 
    • $37 
    • 89 mos
  • Gordon & Jean 
    • $1,000 
    • 89 mos
See all


Erica Hochmeister 
Arlington, TX
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more