Conrad/Young House Fire!
*Please continue reading to hear the story and to see Colin's reaction* And regardless of whether you are able to give or not - please please please share far and wide!!
On January 22, Colin (Dad), Rachael (Mom), 11 year old Aiden and 4 year old Madelyn lost every material posession they own in a devastating house fire. Now displaced, they will spend at least the next couple of years rebuilding their lives and getting back to a sense of normalcy.
Anybody who knows Colin and Rachael know that they always have their door open to everyone. It has been absolutely amazing to see their resilience and positive outlook as a family given this incredible loss - for they know that they have very luckily walked away with their lives, the one thing that truly cannot be replaced. (update - even the family cat, which was the only family member that was missing has been found - yay!!)
The goal set here won't begin to cover all of the costs they will incur and time they invest in the rebuilding process, but every single penny will help them to get back on their feet, support the rebuilding process and prevent them from slipping into deep financial debt.
Please help this wonderful family with ANY amount of donation you can provide at this time. Our love and prayers are with Colin, Rachael, Aiden and Madelyn.
Anything you can give will help. But regardless of whether you are able to give or not, please share this campaign far and wide so that we can meet the goal for this family!
Blessings and thanks,
Friends of the Young/Conrad Family
For some reason, 4 year old Madelyn wouldn't stop moving. On most nights, her daddy (Colin) would tell her story or two, lay with her for a little bit and then she'd be fast asleep. No one knows what would have happened if she had fallen asleep that night, but because she didnt, Colin caught a tiny puff of smoke out of the corner of his eye coming out from under the bathroom door. No fire to be found in the bathroom, but smoke billowed out of the laundry shaft as soon as he opened it.
Of course, they immediately called 911 and the fire department arrived on the scene within minutes. Fortunately, they had caught it in time. The firemen doused the space behind the faulty furnace that ignited the fire, double checked with infra-red goggles to make sure the fire was completely out, declared the house safe and and clear for Colin, Rachael and the kids to stay the night.
But something reeked, and whether it was their intuition or the smoke, they decided to get the dogs and stay at a cousin's house down the road for the night. An hour later, after the kids were asleep Rachael received a call from her neighbor. The house was on fire. Colin threw on his shoes and ran. By the time he got there 3 fire departments had already responded to the scene. His house was completely engulfed. Rachael joined him shortly after. They watched as everything that they owned was completely destroyed.
HOW'S THE FAMILY COPING?
A couple of day's after the incident, Colin posted the following message on his facebook - a true testament to the love, resilience and the values of this family:
"When your home goes up in a blaze in the middle of the night you hold your family tight and thank the universe for passing on safety and a clean bill of health for our family. Very humbled in this moment and can’t thank every1 enough for your love concern and support. Children are safe and sound as are 2/3 of our pets. Focus for rebuilding and a complete new beginning! Forever grateful even in a most dark setting. Share love and compassion continually let it spread like wild fire. No pun intended."
Colin, Maddie - and the other 1/3 of their pets, found several days after the fire - whew!
DonationsSee top donations
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters
Organizer and beneficiary
Rachael Reitano Conrad