The COVID-19 pandemic has forced a lot of schools to close to in-person learning and a lot of families to stay at home. This has placed an undue burden on many lower income families and created additional burdens for orphans and foster kids, who may not have the resources to remotely work or study.
My goal is to bridge that gap, by repairing and donating used Laptops and Computers to orphanages, foster homes, and non-profit organizations in the Orange County, CA area to get these devices into the hands of children and families for completing and submitting homework, attending remote classes, and working from home as needed.
I am an IT professional and have the skills needed to perform the work. This cause is my own and unrelated to my full time job. I am taking no money for my time and work to reach out, research, obtain, repair, and donate these devices. I am also contributing some of my personal savings towards this cause as I am able to.
WHAT YOUR DONATION DOES
Your donations are used in three ways:
1) The purchase of parts to mechanically (not cosmetically) repair any broken devices to a working state. This includes but is not limited to: Hard Drives, RAM, Power Adapters, WiFi Adapters, Webcams, Keyboards, Mice, etc.
2) The purchase of volume licenses of Windows 10 Education for PCs and Laptops, or Mac OS for MacBooks, for devices missing a valid Operating System.
3) The purchase of volume lots of Laptops or Computers from auctions and private sellers for repair or refurbishment for donation. *Target goal is to spend under $100 per device for acquisition and to repair to working condition before donation.
BESIDES A MONETARY DONATION, HOW CAN I HELP?
For this project I constantly need old Desktop Computers and Laptops (2007 or newer) and MacBooks (2013 or newer).
I also need Flatscreen Monitors with VGA or HDMI connectors, and External Webcams.
If you or a friend or family member has any of these devices and is willing to donate them to me, I will gladly accept them.
ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
As of Tuesday, October 13, 2020:
- 28 Desktops and Laptops were donated to the Orangewood Children and Family Center in Orange, CA. These devices have been issued to children for remote learning, and used to create a Computer Lab onsite for children to complete homework and attend classes remotely.
- 23 Desktops and Laptops were donated to the Orangewood Foundation in Santa Ana, CA. These devices have been issued to teenagers, adults who aged out of foster care, and low income families for remote school and work purposes.
- 5 Laptops and 4 Desktops have been donated and are awaiting repair.
- A total of $1,870 in donations was raised to achieve the donations outlined above.
PROJECT TIMELINE AND SCOPE
My focus is to aid those in the Orange County, CA area, with emphasis on the cities where the average household income is lower and the COVID-19 infection rate is higher, slowing the reopening of schools and business for in-person attendance.
I intend to continue this project for as long as I am able to, as long as funds are available, and as long as the Computers and Laptops are available. Remote learning and working is becoming the new normal in our post-pandemic world, so the need amongst the less fortunate for Computers and Laptops will be a regular problem to address.
Please help me get Computers and Laptops into the hands of those who need them!