WHO WE ARE
colab has been a long-time dream of San Diego's Burning Man community, and has recently been brought to life through the hard work of volunteers! We have created a place where you can build and store art, hold large and small meetings for free, host a workshop, use our expanding list of free tools and tap into the collaborative expertise of our vibrant environment.
We are volunteer-run. Colab currently operates from charitable subsidies and we strive to continue this gift to the community as well as for Colab to be self-sustaining.
We offer low-cost indoor and outdoor build space, power, and facilities for the fabrication of large-scale art projects. We also offer accommodations for people to host workshops and meetings.
YOUR DONATION WILL BE EARMARK TO SUPPORT COLAB DIRECTLY
Our main focus now is to finish the Meeting Room. Though incomplete, it is already heavily used for board meetings, classes, workshops, and more. It's also a kitchen and serves as the social center of colab.
WE NEED TO:
- finish the flooring and walls
- plumb the room for a sink
- outfit the room with a projector and video-conferencing equipment
- finish the room hosting the laser cutting machine
- finish the ADA bathroom
- rebuild the outdoor patio area
- installed a large 150W laser cutting machine donated by Sol Diego
- paved front yard
- re-plumbed and framed the ADA bathroom and utility sink
- installed security system
- demolished and rebuilt the rotted 2nd floor
- demolished and rebuilt the rotted staircase
- built meeting room walls with sound proofing to buffer the sometimes loud sounds of art projects
- installed electricity, lighting, an oven and refrigerator into meeting room
- much much more... the above list is not comprehensive
The initial re-build was funded by a generous donation from the San Diego Collaborative Arts Project (SDCAP) and supplemented by the hard work of our community volunteers. SDCAP is the entity that makes San Diego's regional event, YOUtopia, possible. Without support from the elected board members of SDCAP, neither YOUtopia or colab would exist. SDCAP's is a California State Non-Profit with 501c3 Federal non-profit status pending.
The colab managers are Amy Sheridan, Jon Ray, Meg King, Michael Butcher, and Sean Nash.
Please accept our sincere thanks for considering a donation to this community project :)
- David Aguilo
- Les Dearing
San Diego Collaborative Arts Project SDCAP
San Diego, CA