I’m going to start this quoting a friend of mine. “It’s impossible”, said pride. “It’s risky”, said experience. “It’s pointless”, said reason. “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.
I am calling on all friends and family to help me with a hand up. Anyone who knows me has seen my strong passion for animals. I have spent most of my life learning and caring for them. In 2004, I purchased a pet store. My dream had come true. I spent many years rescuing and re-homing pets as well as educating the public by going into schools, nursing homes, and other community events. Things took a bad turn in 2010 when I brought some friends in to help me run the store more efficiently. This gave me more time to groom pets and work with customers that trusted and needed me. My friends quickly ran my store to the ground financially. We were forced to close our doors in 2012.
Jason, my brother, and Sonja, my sister-in-law, saw how this devastated me. They began looking for ways for my dream to stay alive and work as a family. They brought my mother on board, and with a shoe string budget, we reopened. The building that our store is in was built in 1970 and our landlord has made no updated renovations. We have used most of our funds for remodeling, making the store more suitable for our pets and customers.
We have a very large customer flow in our store as we are the only full service pet store in a 60+ mile radius that sells all types of pets including cats and dogs. Due to all the remodeling, we are at the end of our string. I am very humbly asking all that I know to please help us keep my dream alive. Invest in me and my ability to make this store a success. I am not a quitter, and I believe with all my heart that we have something worth fighting for. With financial help, I can properly stock the store as well as offer my grooming services, boarding services, minor first aid training, and tank maintenance.
Key Services Offered and Clients:
1) We have 3 doctor’s offices, 1 lawyer, 1 library, and 5 home fish tanks that we maintenance.
2) I have worked with an Avian Vet and groom approximately 50 birds per month.
3) We groom cats and aggressive dogs that other groomers will not.
4) We hand raise orphaned pets.
5) We offer boarding for all pets. Mr. Patten, a school teacher, boards his snakes here with us every summer.
6) We rescued an American alligator, which are illegal in our state, named Stevo. Due to the lack of knowledge and space, the game warden turned his care over to us. He was in very poor condition when he came in, but after he reached approximately 5 feet we were able to find him a suitable home.
7) In February 2009, after a devastating ice storm hit our town and most of the town was without power, we helped several families in our community by allowing them to bring their pets to the store to be cared for until the power was restored. We housed over 100 pets including fish, birds, small animals, dogs, cats, and reptiles.
8) We take our animals to schools, daycares, nursing homes, etc. to educate people about them.
9) We rescue animals that no one else in our area will take in. We are also a better option than the pound, as we will make sure that they find a home, no matter how long it takes.
10) We are a very hands on pet store, meaning we love for our customers to love and play with our animals whether they are purchasing one or not.
Please, I am asking everyone for a monetary investment to keep our family business alive. Every bit helps. When we do get back on our feet, no one will be forgotten. We will keep the names of everyone that helps, and will do our best to show our appreciation. Thank you in advance for any help that you are able to provide.
The Simon, Finley, McCray, and Kooyman Family
DonationsSee top donations
- colected donations
- Pet Store Yard Sale
- Jeremy Lynch
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more