Allan Clayton - One man with a Spinal Cord Injury climbing over the equivalent of Mount Everest in 8 months.
I have set myself a challenge; to climb the equivalent of more than the height of Everest, around the hills and mountains of the UK in 8 months.
I will be walking up some iconic UK peaks including Scafell Pike, Snowdon and finishing by attempting to climb Ben Nevis. The combined peaks will be more than the height of Everest. This is going to be a difficult challenge for me. In 1999 I was involved in a serious road traffic accident resulting in a spinal cord injury where I broke C4,C5 and C6 leaving me with just 20% chance of being able to use my limbs again. After spending months in rehab and in a wheelchair, I was lucky enough to manage to learn to walk again. I was told that I would be back in a wheelchair by the time I reach the age of 40. My physical ability now is a day to day struggle. I cannot walk more than 50 yards without a rest and have to push through the pain with every footstep. But I want to be able to climb to the views I may not be able to see while I still can. So I have set myself the challenge of climbing more than the equivalent of 40,000 feet in 8 months as it took me exactly 8 months from my accident to learn to walk again. This really is a mountain of a challenge for me.
My story is one of climbing over the toughest physical and mental challenges, feeling the highest highs and crushing low’s. Now is the time to really see what I can do….and give something back.
I will be raising sponsorship money for two important charities along my journey; SPINE and Turning Point.
SPINE UK is the ‘voice’ of the Pinderfields Spinal Cord Injured population. I was treated at Pinderfields so would very much like to give something back for the expert care I received.
Turning Point is a counselling service based in Brighouse where I currently volunteer. Turning Point service offers individual counselling to people. Since my rehabilitation I struggled with mental health and have now embarked on helping others by studying to be a counsellor myself.
This is my schedule for my 8 month challenge. I will be attempting the following peaks in the next 8 months. I am welcoming, and would love supporters, to come join me on any of the walks along the way so please get in touch.
• 28th January Highcliffe Nab North Yorkshire Moors 1017Ft
• 4th Feb Urra Moor & Hasty Bank, North York Moors 1490 Ft &1306 Ft
• 18th Feb Cold Moor & Cringle Moor, NYM’s 1417 Ft & 1319 Ft
• 4th March BilsdaleWest Moor & Carlton Bank, NYM’s 1296 Ft & 1339 Ft
• 18th March Roseberry Topping & Captain Cook’s Monument, NYM’s 1050 Ft & 1063 Ft
• 13th April Stone Ridge, Yorkshire Dales 1423 Ft
• 28th April Glaisdale Ridge & Danby High Moor, NYM’s 1417 Ft & 1319 Ft
• 26th May Scafell Pike, Lake District 3209 Ft
• 27th May Helvellyn, Lake District 3118 Ft
• 23rd June Tan Hill, Eden Valley/Lakes 1000 Ft
• 14th July High Stony Bank & Carncliffe Top 1279 Ft & 1473 Ft
• 4th Aug Pen-Y-Ghent, Yorkshire 3 peaks 2277 Ft
• 5th Aug Ingleborough & Whernside, Yorkshire 3 peaks 2372 Ft. & 2415 Ft.
• 5th Sept Snowden, Snowdonia 3560 Ft.
• Finish 6th Oct Ben Nevis, Scotland 4000 Ft.!!
Total height = 40,159ft
Everest Height = 29,029
DonationsSee top donations
- Melissa Jemison
- Paul Alderslade
- Wayne Hyde
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more