· The world’s five warmest years on record have taken place since 2010.
· Ocean acidification is increasing rapidly – putting ocean life at risk.
· Chennai, India, has run out of water.
· The Himalayan glaciers, a water source for a billion people in South Asia, is melting rapidly.
· France had its hottest day ever on June 28th 2019 with the mercury reaching 45.9˚C.
· Last year, B.C. wildfires burned more than 1.35 million hectares.
· Ontario's wildfires are burning now. In May, hundreds from the Pikangikum First Nation, north of Thunder Bay were evacuated.
· Lake Ontario is now 76.03 metres above sea level — the highest point in recorded history --- and rising.
Climate Pledge Collective is a tiny, volunteer-run, climate organization with big dreams.
We are currently raising funds for a climate crisis ad campaign that aims to bring our climate emergency to the attention of TTC riders in a way that regular news outlets are not. They will be professionally designed and will be factual and non-partisan.
We will probably run four different posters. One listing foods that are threatened by climate change; one focused on the water crisis that is ALREADY developing in India; and two on other topics. Early mock-ups of potential posters are available in the updates section although the exact text, fonts and images are still being discussed.
Broad awareness of the scope of our crisis is urgently necessary and our goal is to have these educational ads running from August 1 to August 29.
The types of ads we buy and their placement will depend on the funds raised. We're aiming for eye-level Toronto subway ads (those above the seats). Our current goal is $10,000 which will buy about 100 posters for four weeks. There are about 130 trains.
By July 15, we hope to have raised enough to meet the ad production deadline. Your help sharing this page is much appreciated!
- Judy Haddad
- Anne Pedersen
- Elizabeth Los
- Grant Walkin
Fundraising team (2)
Climate Pledge Collective