Clayton Horne's Medical/Funeral

Clayton Horne has had 3 surgeries since October 2016. His third surgery was on June 20th, 2017 and was predicted to be out of work for at least three weeks. On the morning of June 24th, his family had to call 9-1-1 because he passed out twice in a matter of a few minutes and could not get back up. Once he was taken the hospital his health decreased even more. On June 29th, he was given medicine and all of a sudden he could not breathe. He was then put on an oxygen mask and had to have another chest x-ray. When the results came back they said he had a lung infection and pulmonary edema. On July 1st, Clayton was moved to the ICU because his oxygen level was not progressing and his lungs were worse then before. Once he was in the ICU, he was put on a bipap machine to help with his breathing. He currently has pneumonia and fluid on his lungs from fluid over load. Clayton is the main source of income for his family and has been out of work since his surgery on June 20th, and no longer has any POT days because of previous surgeries. Clayton is only 50 years old and has a wife, five children, and a granddaughter. On July 2nd, around 3am Clayton was put on a ventilator because his breathing was too rapid. Around 6pm on July 2nd, Clayton was put in medically induced coma because he was trying to breathe with the ventilator, which was not allowing his body to rest. After about 3 hours of fighting to keep him stable he is finally stable on the ventilator in medically induced coma. On July 6th, the doctors decided to slowly bring him off of the sedation to see how well he works with the ventilator. The doctors say that this part of the process can be difficult on the patient and the family because the patients sometimes want to fight the ventilator. If Clayton does well with coming off the sedation then he could possibly come off the ventilator on July 7th. The doctors say that Clayton has double pneumonia. Please pray for Clayton and our family during this process. On July 7th, the ventilator was not removed and Clayton was not off of sedation very long. On July 6th, he was allowed to go on a "sedation vacation" around 2pm for about two hours, which allowed him to prove how well he could work with the ventilator before the sedation was put back on. On July 7th, the doctors said that they would try to take the ventilator out on July 8th, but they said the main word is try. Clayton was allowed another "sedation vacation" on July 7th around 5 am for a few hours before the sedation was turned back on. On July 8th, Clayton was taken off of sedation for several hours before having the sedation turned back on during the night. On July 9th, around 8am the sedation was turned off once again and Clayton managed to control his breathing and oxygen level throughout the day and night. On July 10th, the doctor came in around 8:30 am said the ventilator might be able to be removed later in the day. Around 2pm on July 10th, the ventilator was removed and Clayton was able to manage his breathing. An oxygen mask was put in place of the ventilator. This is one step in the right direction, but the doctors say that there is still a long road ahead. By July 12th, Clayton was able to talk a little. On July 13th, Clayton was finally able to start eating and he was put on a high flow nasal cannula for oxygen. He has been in good spirits and singing to people off and on. Clayton is still in the ICU, but we are praying for continuous progression, which will allow him to be moved to a regular room. Around 1:30am on July 15th, Clayton had to be temporarily sedated because his heart rated was high and his oxygen level was low. Around 3pm on July 15th, Clayton was put back on the ventilator because his heart rate and blood pressure was too high and his oxygen was low. This was a major step back for Clayton because he was doing so well and everyone thought he would moved to a regular floor. Throughout July 16th, Clayton's heart rate was extremely high at 140 and the doctors and nurses battled to lower his heart rate. Please keep our family in your prayers during this difficult time. On July 17th, the doctors said that Clayton is signs of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. The doctors have started him on a lot of antibotics and have been working to keep his heart rate down. His heart rate is lower (better) than on July 16th, however his blood pressure has been rocky along with his temperature. On July 18th, the doctors said that Clayton's kidneys are starting to fail, they decided start him on slow continuous  dialysis (CRRT) to try to restore normal kidney function. Between July 19th and July 21st, Clayton's stats related to his kidney showed signs of slow progression. Clayton is still on the ventilator and heavily sedated because the doctors are trying to keep his lungs expanded as much as possible for right now to prevent hardening of his lungs, which is associated with his ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). The doctors did not have much hope on July 18th, but they are slowly gaining more hope again with his slow progression. There is still a long road ahead and Clayton has been out of work for over a month now. On July 23, the doctors said that Clayton's numbers were progressing, however they decided to put him on regular dialysis because he was not getting rid of enough fluid with CRRT because the machine kept clotting off. With regular diaylsis instead of CRRT Clayton will get the dialysis treatment at a faster rate, however Clayton's blood pressure dropped at the beginning of his first regular dialysis treatment and the nurse had to work to get his blood pressure back to normal. The doctors also decided to put a chest tube in to help relieve some of the fluid and air around his right lung. Clayton now has the chest tube in and is releasing quiet a bit of fluid and air, which is beneficial. After the chest tube was put into place our family was informed that Clayton's right lung collapsed. On July 25th, Clayton was put back on CRRT to help with his kidney function instead of normal dialysis because the doctor's did not feel like Clayton's body could withstand normal dialysis. The nurses are also working to control Clayton's body temperature, which tends to be too low. Clayton also received another blood transfusion on July 25th because his blood count keeps dropping due to possible dilution from the fluids. On July 30th, Clayton was allowed to have a sedation vacation and wake up for several hours. The doctors plan to put a trachen on July 31th and then 2-4 days after the doctors plan on waking Clayton up because they do not like patients to be on the ventilator more than two weeks straight without a trache. On August 1st around 2pm Clayton was taken to the OR to have a trache put in. The doctors plan on trying to start waking Clayton up after he rests for a few days. The night of August 1st, Clayton had a rough night and was breathing over the ventilator and his blood pressure kept dropping. Around 5:30am on August 2nd, Clayton finally calmed down once he was receiving his daily dialysis. Later in the day on August 2nd, Clayton started breathing over the ventilator off and on again. On August 3rd, the doctors talked about restarting some of his sedation if his breathing does not calm down because they fear his left lung could collapse with all of the pressure. Between August 3rd and August 7th, Clayton was put back under sedation and the paralytic was put back on. Clayton's pressures are very high and the doctors fear that his left lung could possibly collapse. Clayton has had a rough few days between August 3rd and August 7th, please continue to pray for Clayton. Also pray for Clayton's family during this very difficult time. All money received will help pay for medical bills and any family needs while he is in the hospital and out of work. Please continue to keep Clayton and his family in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you in advance. 
Around 1:15pm on August 11th, 2017 Clayton passed away. Please pray for his family during this very difficult time.
Love, the Horne Family


 See top
  • Adam Westmoreland 
    • $70 
    • 41 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 42 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $200 
    • 42 mos
  • Clint & Christy Moser 
    • $100 
    • 42 mos
  • Kenneth and Laura Holizna 
    • $2,000 
    • 42 mos
See all


Hope Horne 
Aragon, GA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more